View Poll Results: Did your machine work correctly out of the box, and is it still running

Voters
90. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

32 35.56%
  • No

25 27.78%
  • Yes but broke soon after

27 30.00%
  • Still running

6 6.67%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Did your machine work right out of the box

Default Did your machine work right out of the box

Just trying to get some real data on whats really happening here.

just got the machine from sears yesturday. the first project ran great for
    20% of the carve, then stopped with the z-axis stall. I re-seated the cable
    on the back of the motor and returned to normal. the second project
    required the bit change, and when the head moved over and parked
    the bit chuck fell off. quite impressive-is there a spindle lock somewhere
    so I can properly tighten it back on? i'm very disappointed with initial
    quality.
    thanks for asking,
    Ernie

i tried mine out twice before si left the sears store and drove back to canada and when i got home i cut one piece to deep and then it would not finish a piece so it is in texas.

oh well i am told it will be back soon.
    I know there is no point in reinventing the wheel, but reinventing myself is a worthy goal to be sure.

Tim

From what I have gatherd from previous posts...One of the guys from CW who frequents the forum mentioned that they had about a 10% return rate on the first couple batches of machines from the mfg, most of which were folks who changed their mind about the machine (i.e. they could not figure it out, I'm not casting stones, CNC machines are not for everyone). He has also said that they have sold around 4,000 machines to date. So, if you take a look at the number of problem machines reported on the forum (real problms not, user related (I have had both ), which is probably up to around 20-25 now. Even if you quadrupal that number to account for for folks who did not report problms on the forum, you wind up with 3,900 out of 4,000 machines working perfectly out of the box and for the next 2-3 months (after Sears started selling them). Thats about a 1% failure rate, which IS high.

From other reports on the forum the problems associated with teh faulty Z-axis encoder and ribbon cables coming loose has been solved at the mfg level. I had to replace my Z-axis motor pack shortly after getting it. I called CW they sent the part and all is well. They are nice folks to deal with.
    Happy carving , Jeff Birt

Check out www.soigeneris.com for CarveWright Accesories.

Home of the 'Carving in the Dark' back lit LCD kit!

It's been almost a year now, still running. I've had some down time-I expected to, but the durations haven't been very long & all the repairs have been performed by me.
    The 50-50-90 rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Do it on a Mac.
    Vietnam Vet '65-'66

Called CW and was told they were so overwhelmed with support calls that it will be a while. LOL Great product great support. seems to me 2 users on this site are PRO CW and PUMP CW up. I do understand that it's a start up and they are going through growing pains and I am patient, and plan to try and solve my issues. But to keep up the notion that their are 1000's of happy customers and only a small percentage is not quite true.

Most I would bet don't even know what a forum is so the reports you Jeff have stated must be way off if only 40 people are having troubles according to the 10% of 4000 folks. From what I gathered from my phone call I will be lucky to get a support phone call before the 30 day money back period sears usually offers on purchases. What I mean to say is for those who have had little to no trouble, good for you, but don't expect me to clap for you, most from what I have read were around before they blew up and had fast excellent support. Users now feel a bit short sided. You experts on here should apply for a job, they told me they are looking, why not get paid for your time.

I did however discover an issue, the screw that holds the black cover over the ribbon cable is stripped and allowing the ribbon (I would assume) to slip out, but to avoid a warranty issue I will not mess with it until I talk with tech support. Just looking into the machine I have discovered 3 stripped screws and when taking the top cover off and reinstalling that cable while keeping the plastic piece in place so the wires do not touch any of the moving or heated parts is a bugger. I can see many solvable issues with just a few engineering design changes, seems like the real week link is the ribbon cable to the head not being strong enough. For a tool that carves wood and me being really familiar with printers, I can tell you I have seen printers with stronger ribbon to head setups. Hint hint CW.

anyway enough banter

Actually the discussion was 10% were returned. Satisfaction is an ever-evolving thing. For the first week I was joyous. This weekend I was mad as hell. Today I am elated again.

I just call things like I see them, my friend. I think guestimating a 1% failure rate on my part is about right, but from a mfg standpoint that is WAY to high (definatly not six sigma). Please reread what I wrote, there is a diffrence between return rate and failure rate.

All that being said, I think it stinks that you are having problems right out of the box. As I mentioned I had some problems soon after getting my machine, CW took care of it. If a company treats me right I mention it, if they screw me over I mention that too (just ask me about Sprint some time). Personally, I would rather deal with an honest company that tells you they are way behind than one who lies about it and just keeps giving you the run around. Your milage may vary

I hope you get things worked out, it's a great machine and a lot of fun to use. Take care...
    Happy carving , Jeff Birt

Check out www.soigeneris.com for CarveWright Accesories.

Home of the 'Carving in the Dark' back lit LCD kit!

Quote Originally Posted by Elkaholic
    seems to me 2 users on this site are PRO CW and PUMP CW up.
    If you're including me in this, you're probably right. I keep a fairly low profile, usually. I have had probably more failures on my machine than any member of this forum. I, however, don't rant about them, they have all been fixed. My machine has never been back to CW for rebuild, I've been able to do it myself with their excellent tech support. Give these people a break, (here I go again) have some faith in the product and the tech support and you will have more fun with a woodworking machine than yu ever thought possible. If not-get a life, somewhere else.
    The 50-50-90 rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Do it on a Mac.
    Vietnam Vet '65-'66

Jeff I agree with you and that's why am giving them time to prove you correct. They were very pleasant and honest with me. Punk if the shoe fits I guess wear it? I have not asked for help, I know my way around a forum and have gleaned what I have needed to self trouble shoot. I have only stated what my issues were in a matter of fact way. If you don't like it punk don't read it. People should be aware of these types of problems.
    So

1. Z Axis error
    2. a refurbished/used machine sold to me as new
    3. Y axis error
    4. Tech support overloaded
    5. punk telling me to get a life LOL
    6. Figured out several screws are stripped and most likely the culprit and feel I do not want to break the warrant contract by self engineering like the great wizard of Punk.

I do have faith that it may get working, and 2066.00 is not much money in the scheme of things so no big deal. I thought folks may want to know what to expect and honesty is a good policy.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast