View Poll Results: Did your machine work correctly out of the box, and is it still running

Voters
90. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

32 35.56%
  • No

25 27.78%
  • Yes but broke soon after

27 30.00%
  • Still running

6 6.67%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Did your machine work right out of the box

hey Elkaholic, glad to hear you got in touch with a warm body today. Sounds like (eventaully) you 'll get a brand spanking new machine.

My suspicion is that somebody took your machine back to Sears claiming that they 'never had it out of the box', and it got resold as such. I have a friend who got a LCD monitor from buy.com that way, retaped box, scratched on base, etc. They did send him a new one.

Defiinatly try thigns out on cheaper wood. Good pine carves nicely, but can be a bit fuzzy (but it cleans up easy). I have found that even with a lot of CNC experiance under my belt I had to get to know the machine and software.
    Happy carving , Jeff Birt

Check out www.soigeneris.com for CarveWright Accesories.

Home of the 'Carving in the Dark' back lit LCD kit!

Nope, I could just tell. It had screws that were stripped, missing pieces, sides scratched up and double taped. To many things point to it being used/refurbed. Sears of course does not admit to it, but I can tell. They actually treated me very good on the phone and had no problems sending out a new unit. Now since i talked with bard, I took the black cover off where the ribbon cable fits into the head, shoved it aside, reinserted the cable and instabond the brown clip and cable. It's now carving, holy *bleep* Lets see how far it gets. I still want the replacement due to the top screws, the middle screw and one in the back of the top are stripped and so 1 screw is holding the top on.

Wish me luck!!!

Definitely, best o'luck to ye.

BTW, "instabond"? Is that a brand name, or another term for superglue, or what? Not familiar with that one.

Thx!
    Measure twice, cuss once.

Default 7 Hours and 51 Minutes

I purchased a Compucarve last month from Sears. The first two carvings were way too small. The last two I did turned out good. Then my rear sanding belt broke this past Sunday.
    I called Carvewright and it took a couple tries to get through. After getting through I talked to a freindly young lady that said she'd send me new belts. Hopefully this will not happen too often.
    I have ordered a set of bits a coouple weeks ago and hopefully they will come shortly along with the belts. I really like what the machine does when its working. I do have some software problems (learning things).

Instabond is a glue for turning Pend on a Lathe, dries quick and sticks to anything, yet it's safe on plastic. Finished my first project and working on the next. It did a pretty good job, when I finish it I will post a picture.

The Bard Guest

Its superglue.

Mine worked out of the box and after (7) projects it continues to run great. I did have a bit drop out during a cut-out but a little lock-tight (blue)and a check with each use solves that problem. I have about 13 hours on the machine.

My cw worked right out of the box for a couple of projects, then began having problems. I talked to the techs and found them very helpful and eager to solve the problem. I'm sure the remedy was simple, but felt more secure in sending the machine to the hospital. When I received it back it cut a couple of projects and had a y axis stall. I went on the forum, found many helpful ideas from previous posts, and fixed the problem. A feather in the cap of a guy who grew when computers were housed in a square block-sized building.
    Everyone involved was a great help
    It's hell to be 25 years old penned up in a 65 year old body.

Heheh, Terry I like your sig.
    The 50-50-90 rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Do it on a Mac.
    Vietnam Vet '65-'66

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast