Thread: New Ringneck Blues "High Volume" Version Dust Collector Review

Default New Ringneck Blues "High Volume" Version Dust Collector Review

I just installed the Ringneck Blues Dust Collector “High Volume Version two weeks ago and wanted to share how I modified (or did not modify) the cover. I tried to devise a way to install the unit, keep the safety feature of the cover intact, and not cut the cover. I have always had issues cutting polycarb due to the sharp pieces that stuck into the rubber rollers so I also did a review of the effectiveness of the RNB dust collector.
    I have always learned so much from reading the forums that I wanted to contribute something back instead of just asking for help. My CW is only used for prototypes one at a time so I have managed to squeak by without a DC for years. Recently, I had a series of parts that I wanted to cut which would be hours long and figured one of the low cost systems would be worth trying. I chose the RNB DC based on the positive reviews on the forum and when I saw that he had just made the high volume version, I was pulled towards that option.

Installation (pictures in post)
    - I have a variety of shims and gaskets in the shop so I experimented with a few possibilities and came up with a simple and effective way to quickly add tab extensions to the cover. The tab extensions simultaneously depress both micro switches and leave slightly less than 1” gap from the dust collector.

- I used a piece of channel gasket, a flat toothpick, and medium viscosity superglue. When looking at the unmodified cover tabs, you will notice that one protrudes a smidge longer than the other since the switches are different. One toothpick was left a little wider than the other to compensate for the slightly different switch.

- After the RNB dust collector was installed (this was so simple, it was funny- it took 5 minutes!), I cobbled together the parts you see on the longer of the 2 switches. I used a small binder clip to hold it in place while I opened and closed the cover listening for the click of the switch. I tweaked the toothpick twice to get it perfect and then superglued it onto the tab. I do recommend using either medium or high viscosity glue to give you more drying time. Thin glue will set immediately and you do need about 45 seconds to position the extension, install the clamp, and then wiggle it straight so it will enter the switch slot without interference.

- I then did the same thing with the other switch and tab. I just opened and closed the cover till I heard both switches click at the same time. I then glued the second tab extension in place.

- I used superglue since it works great on polycarbonate and rubber. Both materials will chemically soften the top surface and when it dries, the 2 pieces will be fused together. I use polycarbonate and neoprene rubber in my business and have doing this for 10 years and feel very comfortable saying this is a robust connection that will not fail- it is permanent unless you want to cut or grind the extensions off.

Review (videos on You Tube, links below)
    When I read reviews, words are nice, pictures are better, and videos are great. So most of my review is on videos via You Tube. The links are below.
    - My dust collector is a Jet, 1 HP, 650 CFM system. Not a big unit but big enough.
    - After I shot the video, I realized that the muffler was not on the machine. So- chips were being blown around on the backside on the machine and ricocheting off of shelves back onto the cutting surface.
    - After I reinstalled the muffler, I had another couple of hours of cutting to do and noticed that only about ½ of the PC dust was on the rollers and NONE of the chips were along the side rails of the sled.
    - So, I actually feel bad that the video review is sort of inaccurate due to the missing muffler but if you use this machine, you know that the video results look great considering the amount of chips that are being produced. And- polycarb/ acrylic chips are a lot harder to deal with than sawdust. This was a 2.5 hour series of cut paths and what was left is next to nothing!
    - I don’t have my calculations in front of me but when the unit arrived, I calculated the area of the 4” hose connection, the area of the rectangular neck, and the area of the opening in the machine. The areas all match with a slight reduction of about 5% at the opening in the machine. This is perfect since the volume is maintained all the way to the port and then the slight reduction increases the velocity right where you want it for suction. From pictures of the original version vs. the new high volume version, this one has to flow a LOT more air.
    - I know that static always seems to be a concern in the forum. My CW machine, Jet DC, and the RNB are all grounded to the same source and I have not noticed any static discharge or shocking. The hose is wire reinforced plastic and I have not wrapped wire around the outside of it. The poly chips do stick to surfaces a little but nothing unusual.
    - Bottom line is that the Ringneck Blues High Volume Dust Collector works great and I highly recommend it.
    Thanks, John

Part 1: http://youtu.be/ca7CL7cyQDo
    Part 2: http://youtu.be/bJpcDY-ljOk
    Part 3: http://youtu.be/HxV6CnwxQ6A
    Part 4: http://youtu.be/8GwEUlPWWjY
    Part 5: http://youtu.be/FOVqRfN3RnM
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Extension Assembly & Gasket Height.JPG   Gasket Width.JPG   Super Glue onto Tab.JPG   Tab Extension Parts.JPG  

Last edited by heftyh; 02-02-2013 at 12:33 PM.

Thank you for the report. Excellent, unbiased, and thorough. I would like to see the same test using the helper shoe idea I posted in another thread. If it works like I think it will, the only chips left wound be a few rogue ones and the ones stuck in the slots.
    Last edited by bergerud; 02-04-2013 at 09:28 AM.

John,

Thanks for taking the time to make the videos and writing this review of my version #3 of the DC-INSERT. When John contacted me about the larger version it was a great push for me to get back to getting it done. I have actually been running with it since November when I did my prototype. With John's feedback on the cover tabs I will be out sourcing the material to include the parts with each unit. I've been running mine with some small wooden dowel pieces and used the same this weekend at the wood show on the demo machine with my shop vac. All worked great, very little dust, until the shop vac filter finally got plugged up.

Dan,
    Thanks for the idea for the chip catcher. I might be a while before I can do any testing with it but sure welcome any one with the insert to give it a try if they feel the need. But from what I have seen with my unit and carving wood the amount of dust not being sucked up is very minimal but it might be a good attachment for those doing the other non wood materials.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Quote Originally Posted by fwharris View Post
    John,

But from what I have seen with my unit and carving wood the amount of dust not being sucked up is very minimal but it might be a good attachment for those doing the other non wood materials.
    My thoughts exactly. Many have been interested in my methods because of plastics and other operations which have chip control problems. But my caps and shoes are similar. Wood dust - hardly a speck. Start milling pockets, routing edges, or cutting plastic and it is not as good.

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    My thoughts exactly. Many have been interested in my methods because of plastics and other operations which have chip control problems. But my caps and shoes are similar. Wood dust - hardly a speck. Start milling pockets, routing edges, or cutting plastic and it is not as good.
    Well bergerud I have been cutting plastic, and hard wood, and the second prototype shoe for RC works very well ,just like the first one, I am very pleased with the both of them, and using a shop vac because I am limited for space I am making spares now and ordered more bearing , these bearing seem to be running pretty good so far and thank you again bergerud , I just can't thank you enought
    Henry

Every one has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.