Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Painting Lettering

Only once Bruce. I'd used latex paint that I'd had for a while and I don't think it really stuck well. I got some bubbles when I removed the contact paper. I usually try to pull it after the letter paint is dry to the touch but not fully cured so that *it* doesn't pull up.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------

George
    Life is short....drink the good wine first!

Some of my letters I have painted the whole letter and I do it by hand with a small stuff angel cut brush. Some of them I just do the surface. With center line text I use a small thin brush and paint by hand. I use a combination of acrylic paint, stains and even water color.

I use paint pens or markers and it works great!

I put my sign paint in Ketchup bottles.. less waste.... Then for most letter painting like White V Centerline Text on a Brown painted backghround..... I load up a 1/2 inch in diameter plastic syringe with no needle. I stick it in the ketchup hole, invert bottle and suck up some paint. I use the syringe to place the paint in the letters and move it around. I suck out the excess....

Works for me...

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

This is the method I am currently using also.. If I could make a suggestion; try the Marsh brand ink.. Really works great!!

Quote Originally Posted by DickB View Post
    Others have posted about using spray stencil ink for centerline text, it does not bleed. I did a sign with it and it turned out great. I just used a sander on the surface.

Just did my first v-carve using the contact paper and Marsh Black stencil ink in rattle can. Without any question, this is the nicest lettering with paint that I have done. Crisp margins. The Marsh black stencil ink spray is a flat black. This is what came when I ordered it off Ebay (no local supplier). I don't know if a gloss black is available. I used it to make a swing seat with child's name and date of birth. I cut the board to size, sanded 80, 120, 180 and 220. I then used 50/50 mix of Zinserr dewaxed shellac for sanding sealer (I did not use stain as I wanted a natural finish on the select pine) using two coats. Then lightly sanded with 400 grit. Covered area to be v-carved with white opaque shelf contact paper I bought at Target. I used a dry utility cloth to burnish the contact paper onto the wood. Did the v-carve with 90 degree v-bit. There was absolutely no curl or pull-up of the contact paper at the edges of the lettering that I could see. But I still used the micro mesh cloth to burnish again around the lettering, took just a couple of minutes. Then I sprayed two coats of Marsh Black stencil ink into the lettering waiting until the first coat dry to touch.... about 5 minutes. I waited about 10 more minutes to pull off the contact paper. I was impressed with the results. As clean as the contact paper looked after carving, I am going to try painting with acrylic and enamel paints and small brush.... I am certain this will work great too.

One question for those that have used the contact paper. The contact paper leaves behind a definite adhesive residue. What do you find is the easiest way to remove the residue so I can do my final sanding? I was thinking sanding the residue might just gunk up the sand paper if I don't try something to remove the adhesive first.

Using a plastic syringe sounds like something I need to try. Thanks for the tip Al.

what kind of contact paper are we talking about? Can I simply overlay the workpiece with masking tape and then do the carving with the tape on it? Then paint lettering and remove surrounding tape?

9. Default

Do not use masking tape for this, it will catch the carving bit and wrap around it. It will not work for this. Use the contact paper that is sold at dollar stores or walmart for lining your kitchen shelves. It works really well and removes easily.

that is what i was wondering if the bit would cut through standard masking tape. So from what Im reading and hearing the bits will carve through the contact paper cleanly without tearing or fraying the edges? I remember using a material several years ago when I worked in the sign industry that we used to overlay for sandblasting signs. It was a bit thicker material, but very similar process.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12