Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Some things you learn the hard way...

Default Some things you learn the hard way...

Morning fellas! Last night I was finally able to start my desk plaques that I have been wanting to get started, and was carving the first two out of Santos Mohagany. Its a absolutely beautiful wood, and carved really nice, but after three and a half hours of breathing in the dust, its not my best friend right now! I have read posts about the importance of using a mask, but never really took it all that seriously, until now!

Dont carve mohagany without a mask!

Do you have a DC insert on your machine? Should have gotten most of it but you are right, mahogany is one that you don't want to work without protection. Some are more sensitive than others, and you can develop sensitivity over time. After working wood for over 25 years, I have gotten to where woods I work all the time; walnut, cedar, cherry, mahogany amoung others will really get my sinuses going if I don't mind the dust. I got a good mask a few years ago, money well spent.
    Kansas Wood Shop
    Disabled Veteran owned and operated
    Visit www.kansaswood.com
    A machine with rock, CS machine, Designer 3, centerline, conforming vectors

Excellent point. I have gotten to the point that if I am carving, sanding or just about doing anything in the shop I wear a respirator. Even with dust collection. I use to feel kind of bad when I would walk back out of there but now I am much better. Only takes a second to put it on...

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2
    Custom Stadium Coin Racks for displaying Military Challenge Coins, GeoCoins and the like- http://www.etsy.com/shop/stadiumdisplays
    OR http://shop.ebay.com/stadiumdisplays...&_trksid=p4340

A point well taken even with a exhause fan and filter better be safe than sorry
    Henry

Every one has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.

And to help improve your air quality with dust collection

http://www.wynnenv.com/35A_series_cartridge_kit.htm
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

I am fortunate to be able to have a dedicated shop which is attached to my garage. To help with dust collection, I have the collector (cyclone type) actually in the garage and piped into my shop. Some 6" pvc runs and 4" pvc runs (all thin wall and wire grounded) with 4" drops to blast gates. I have a remote switch (X-10) which was pretty inexpensive hooked to the collector so I can turn it off and on with a remote hanging on my apron. It helps not to have to breath what is being exhausted out of the collector.....
    John
    www.jdmwoodworks.com
    Facebook Page: click FB button on web page

Bessemer, MI (shop location)
    Lake Gogebic, MI (where I hang my hat)

"He who wants by the yard, but gives by the inch, should be kicked by the foot"...

In addition to a duct collector I put a air filtration system in my shop. They cost $300 to $ 400. Really makes a great deal of difference in air quality with out having to wear a mask.

I intend to get a dust collection system hopefully here soon, mostly because I think it will help with the performance of the machine. At the moment I am just using my wifes vacuum after each carve, something I kinda feel like she doesnt appreciate very much!

I agree with the air filtration unit as well. I have one hanging from my ceiling (also on the X-10 remote) and it uses 2 pleated furnace filters so inexpensive to maintain. It filters the full quantity of air in the shop about 8 times per hour......
    John
    www.jdmwoodworks.com
    Facebook Page: click FB button on web page

Bessemer, MI (shop location)
    Lake Gogebic, MI (where I hang my hat)

"He who wants by the yard, but gives by the inch, should be kicked by the foot"...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast