Thread: Spikes in Carve...

Default Spikes in Carve...

Looking for guidance

I have a black and white image that I have went over and cleaned up. When I import it into Designer, I keep getting spikes in certain areas. I have changed the depth and height of the carve, which hasn’t helped. I need to be able to cut this into Corian; I’m trying it in pine first, to make sure everything cuts and looks right. The main problem is with the ribbon and words on the left and right side along with the top of the crest. I’m thinking the lines are not thick (wide) enough, but if I make them too much wider it kind of distorts the image. I’m trying to do this in an 8 x 10 and a 6 x 9.

Any help on this would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Bob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Crest 130128.jpg   Crest Issues 130128.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Have you tried changing the bit optimization to best and add some draft?

Yep.
    I tried different feathering, drafts, and bit optimizations.
    I even checked the color (black) in a photo app. (to make sure it was all the same shade)

Quote Originally Posted by PCOutlaw View Post
    Yep.
    I tried different feathering, drafts, and bit optimizations.
    I even checked the color (black) in a photo app. (to make sure it was all the same shade)
    Try these images - I can also send you the pattern.

Set bit optimization to Best
    Change your depth and invert it if you need it.

I raised the height in pattern editor and smoothed it.
    Last edited by chief2007; 01-28-2013 at 09:44 AM.

spike.mpc
    Looking for guidance

I have a black and white image that I have went over and cleaned up. When I import it into Designer, I keep getting spikes in certain areas. I have changed the depth and height of the carve, which hasn’t helped. I need to be able to cut this into Corian; I’m trying it in pine first, to make sure everything cuts and looks right. The main problem is with the ribbon and words on the left and right side along with the top of the crest. I’m thinking the lines are not thick (wide) enough, but if I make them too much wider it kind of distorts the image. I’m trying to do this in an 8 x 10 and a 6 x 9.

Thanks,
    Bob
    would this help
    Henry

Every one has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.

Looking for guidance

Thanks,
    Bob
    Will this work?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Crest 130128_DISP-cw.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Using Designer Version 1.187
    Donations are always welcomed, thanks – send a check to my PO Box 652

BJB
    PO Box 652
    Yellville,AR 72687-0652

PM me for my e-mail address.

I appreciate the quick responses, will try three of the suggestions, will try them on pine first and then try the Corian. Will let you know how they turn out.
    Thanks,
    Bob

I appreciate the quick responses, will try three of the suggestions, will try them on pine first and then try the Corian. Will let you know how they turn out.
    Thanks,
    Bob
    The spikes you are referring to, is caused by "Noise" created by Compressing files for the internet. Any photo editing software will have Blur capabilities. Add a little bit of blur, until it smooths out. I use Photoshop. I also have a plugin for it, called "neat image". It does an excellent job of removing noise! It is also available as a standalone product. http://www.neatimage.com/index.html
    "Carved with Love"

Happiness comes from within.
    But joy comes from helping others.

Measure twice... and then sneak up on it!

" I use Photoshop. I also have a plugin for it, called "neat image". It does an excellent job of removing noise! It is also available as a standalone product. http://www.neatimage.com/index.html "

Interesting piece of software Bert. I had not run across this before and will give it a testdrive. Thanks for sharing it.
    Fair winds,

Capt Bruce
    Kinney deSigns http://kinneydesigns.us
    CarveWright START U Team Member.

30 year USN SEABEE, the original Weapons of Mass Construction.
    Designer Ver 1.187 and 2.007, Ver.3.001 One 2009 B CW w ROCK and a 5th Year Anniversary C CW
    Rotary Jig, 2D and 3D, Tracing Probe, DFX and STL Importers