Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gift

Quote Originally Posted by TerryWinslow View Post
    What species of wood did you use? Very nice job by the way. I'm a newb and wondering if pine will stain good enough for signs.
    Select Pine stains beautifully. Looks great on signs. Because it is so white. BUT...watch out for cupping. I use it but as I think it was Ike who said, "always seal the cut ends". If it wasn't Ike I apologize to whoever said it. But it was one of the best words of advice I got as a newbie. Seal those newly cut pine ends. fast. Otherwise you might have an unattractive bow in the wood that is not sellable.

A very nice gift indeed with your craftsmanship apparent. Nicely done
    Fair winds,

Capt Bruce
    Kinney deSigns http://kinneydesigns.us
    CarveWright START U Team Member.

30 year USN SEABEE, the original Weapons of Mass Construction.
    Designer Ver 1.187 and 2.007, Ver.3.001 One 2009 B CW w ROCK and a 5th Year Anniversary C CW
    Rotary Jig, 2D and 3D, Tracing Probe, DFX and STL Importers

Quote Originally Posted by TerryWinslow View Post
    What species of wood did you use? Very nice job by the way. I'm a newb and wondering if pine will stain good enough for signs.
    Hello and welcome, I used Poplar
    " The Hurdier I Go, The Behinder I Get"

Looking good!

I didn't think poplar wood carve that Well

I find poplar from Lowes and Home Depot in my area near Atlanta is usually more consistent quality than select pine and more often available in wider boards like 1 x 12 x 8' or 10'. In this area it often presents dramatic grain patterns to add interest. Poplar seems to take all the Minwax stains beautifully without blotching like pine. Saves me having to apply a seal coat of Bullseye Sealcoat shellac to avoid blotching. And yes it carves cleaner and hold small details and crisp edges better than our locally available pine. Obviously this does not apply across the nation but if you have not used it, I'd say carve some and see if your experience is the same. Just my 2 ¢.
    Last edited by Capt Bruce; 07-04-2013 at 10:46 AM.
    Fair winds,

Capt Bruce

Designer Ver 1.187 and 2.007, Ver.3.001 One 2009 B CW w ROCK and a 5th Year Anniversary C CW

Capt Bruce gave a good description of poplar, Well Said. I live in Mass at the Cape Cod Canal. I use poplar all the time and go to Home Depot which I like because you don't have to purchase the whole board. Capt Barry

Thank you b.sumner47 for your kind words Sir. Took me a minute to associate your avatar until I recognized my fellow Capt in your signature.

Best of all Home Depot and Lowes both let you pick your boards, handle and site down them to really know what you're getting.

Fair winds my friend!
    Last edited by Capt Bruce; 07-04-2013 at 10:45 AM.
    Fair winds,

Capt Bruce

Thanks for the words of wisdom.. I will take that advice to heart..

Quote Originally Posted by seathis View Post
    Select Pine stains beautifully. Looks great on signs. Because it is so white. BUT...watch out for cupping. I use it but as I think it was Ike who said, "always seal the cut ends". If it wasn't Ike I apologize to whoever said it. But it was one of the best words of advice I got as a newbie. Seal those newly cut pine ends. fast. Otherwise you might have an unattractive bow in the wood that is not sellable.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12