Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: a thread about threads

Question a thread about threads

I am not sure if it is possible, but one thing I have found about this forum if you say it wont work, someone will come by and prove it can be done.
    What I want to do is carve threads into a dowel and carve a nut that matches the pitch of the threads.
    I do not have the rotary jig so I would need to cave the threaded dowel in two halves just like liquidguitars flute carve.
    I would think carving the nut would go the same way. two halves then glue together.
    I want to use fairly hard wood so I could make some practical projects.
    I know in theory this will work I just don't have the experience to pull it off.

Help

Carl,

As you probably realize, the threads at the sides can not be as deep as the threads at the top unless the dowel being carved is rotated.
    A much better way would be to buy the tools to do it directly I think.

Here is a link that offers a better solution (and also creates threads in a bored hole to match).
    Ken,
    V-1, 2, & 3

When the People fear their Government, there is Tyranny.
    When the Government fears the People, there is Liberty.
    - Thomas Jefferson

You must be the change you wish to see in the world.
    - Mohandas Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Carl H View Post
    I am not sure if it is possible, but one thing I have found about this forum if you say it wont work, someone will come by and prove it can be done.
    What I want to do is carve threads into a dowel and carve a nut that matches the pitch of the threads.
    I do not have the rotary jig so I would need to cave the threaded dowel in two halves just like liquidguitars flute carve.
    I would think carving the nut would go the same way. two halves then glue together.
    I want to use fairly hard wood so I could make some practical projects.
    I know in theory this will work I just don't have the experience to pull it off.

Help
    You could do that with the CW unit, but it is not the best way. I made some 1/2 nuts for my Legacy unit, I scanned the original part, it worked, but I like this Kit better. A lot less waste, time and wood.
    http://www.bealltool.com/products/th...g/threader.php
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails a thread kit.pdf  
    Using Designer Version 1.187
    Donations are always welcomed, thanks – send a check to my PO Box 652

BJB
    PO Box 652
    Yellville,AR 72687-0652

PM me for my e-mail address.

I am aware of the tapping and threading tools and I could use my lathe or router but I was trying to figure out a way here, Either with Shadow Relief patterns or conform vector. I will ask my brother for some help with the shadow. I just found out he has an awesome program for that.

What diameter and how coarse of threads are we talking about?

And the gaunlet has been picked up
    " The Hurdier I Go, The Behinder I Get"

Good one James....I look forward to the results. Sometimes even if it is easier to do it one way, it can be a lot of fun to try another....
    John
    www.jdmwoodworks.com
    Facebook Page: click FB button on web page

Bessemer, MI (shop location)
    Lake Gogebic, MI (where I hang my hat)

"He who wants by the yard, but gives by the inch, should be kicked by the foot"...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Thread.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	120.9 KB 
ID:	59445
    I was thinking of 3/4 of an inch. perhaps 6 threads per inch. I am not sure how much strength that would have. I just think of a few decorative projects I could do with threaded wooden dowels. Apple presses nut crackers etc.
    Last edited by Carl H; 01-27-2013 at 05:37 PM. Reason: added picture

At the large machine shop I used to work at, they had milling cutters for there CNC machines that would cut internal theads. The cutter looked something like a tapered finger joint bit, but the teeth was only as big as the threads. The CNC head would drill a hole , change to the thread cutting bit and go straight down the middle of the hole and spiral around the hole and move down only one thread as it was spiraling around . Now wouldn't that be neat if the CW could do that. Then it could make external threads on the rotary jig with a 60 deg. bit.
    1.187 Custom Woodworking for more than 40-years

What about doing it in 4 cuts instead of 2. I'm not sure about 3/4 inch. You would need a pretty fine cutter.
    Morton

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast