Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A different take on a lithopane - front lighting

Default A different take on a lithopane - front lighting

My Mom's birthday is coming up in about a week and I have been working on he present using my CarvwWright machine. I wanted to make a lithopane but I also wanted to do something a bit different. I got a hold of a couple of pieces of 1/4" cast acrylic one in white and one in bronze. The white acrylic came out OK, it looked similar to a litho made with Corian. The one in the bronze acrylic really came out quite different. It was too transparent to backlight, it just did not look good. I laid it down on a piece of paper and noticed that it looked cool, sort of like a sepia photograph with some dpeth to it.

I used a 1/32" bit on this litho and found it came out with a lot more detail then the one I did with the 1/16" bit (same bronze material used). I just got the frame off the machine and wanted to see how it looked so I put it together with a few sheets of white paper behind the litho. The frame is about 8"x10" and is made from oak.

The photo is my parents wedding photo, taken right before my dad shipped out toward the South Pacific in 1944. The oval shape was done to hide some fading in the original photo. (As a side note as I was working on this it occurred to me that my Mom got married at age 16 which is the same age my daughter is now. People were sure made of sterner stuff back then.)

NOTE: The title should be "Front Lighting", i.e. lit only be light from room.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Front Lit Litho.JPG 
Views:	215 
Size:	162.0 KB 
ID:	59391
    Happy carving , Jeff Birt

Check out www.soigeneris.com for CarveWright Accesories.

Home of the 'Carving in the Dark' back lit LCD kit!

Jeff,

Great discovery! The photo shows very well with no back lighting at all. Opens up more possibilities for sure.

So very true about "back then", at that age they had to be an adult. Kids sure do have it a lot softer now in a lot of ways.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Really like the look, going to be a great present. Where did you find the bronze acrylic?

I had held off on getting the 1/32 bit, but I will definitely get a couple now.

The bronze acrylic is from McMaster-Carr: mcmaster.com. It is part# 8505K92. I've had a lot of good feedback on the 1/32" bits from my customers who do lithos. The step over when set to 'optimal' mode on the CarveWright is small enough that the smaller tip does create finer detail.

Bonney Lake, Washington, United States, 113160055365328, Bonney Lake, Washington

That is so cool Jeff and I would love to get it a try. Thanks!
    Tom Watson
    Two CW's and D.C.-Top Mount Insert @ Ringneckblues.com Get the dust out!!
    50" X 48" PDJ Pilot Pro CNC http://www.pdjinc.com

Check out my Facebook page for current carvings at http://www.facebook.com/signsinwood

Watsons Wooden Words http://www.signsinwood.com & Messages in Wood http://www.messagesinwood.com/

Excellent carve, Jeff. I have not done a litho lately, I have the bit but not set-up to carve. Thanks for sharing.

Capt Barry

Nice!, where did you get the 1/32 bit?
    " The Hurdier I Go, The Behinder I Get"

Quote Originally Posted by James RS View Post
    Nice!, where did you get the 1/32 bit?
    Well, I sell them so it was easy to get You can click on the link to my website (below) for more information.

Please advise me if I'm correct that I need a 1/4" to 1/2" collet to use your 1/32" tip bit with the CarveTite chuck like your other bits Jeff? Thanks
    Fair winds,

Capt Bruce
    Kinney deSigns http://kinneydesigns.us
    CarveWright START U Team Member.

30 year USN SEABEE, the original Weapons of Mass Construction.
    Designer Ver 1.187 and 2.007, Ver.3.001 One 2009 B CW w ROCK and a 5th Year Anniversary C CW
    Rotary Jig, 2D and 3D, Tracing Probe, DFX and STL Importers

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff_Birt View Post
    Well, I sell them so it was easy to get You can click on the link to my website (below) for more information.
    Really looks good Jeff, but did I miss the "click on the link to my website (below)" I think I could use one of those bits.
    Last edited by radman5506; 01-27-2013 at 05:34 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast