Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: multi-pass carving & conform

1. Default

Appreciate all the tips. Have followed them all, bearings are good and cleaned, bit is good. Checked my cut motor hours, and now am over 250. Have ordered new brushes to replace them, but when I ran a test carve tonight, had the same y axis stall as the bit was going over a cliff. So I am wondering, could worn cut motor brushes cause variations in the cut motor speed when going deep and putting a load on the motor, causing a stall? Appreciate any insight into this.

Quote Originally Posted by Clyde Cochrane View Post
    Appreciate all the tips. Have followed them all, bearings are good and cleaned, bit is good. Checked my cut motor hours, and now am over 250. Have ordered new brushes to replace them, but when I ran a test carve tonight, had the same y axis stall as the bit was going over a cliff. So I am wondering, could worn cut motor brushes cause variations in the cut motor speed when going deep and putting a load on the motor, causing a stall? Appreciate any insight into this.
    You said you are over 250 hours, if you haven't done so you need to change the y motor bearings. This would be the most likely reason for your y axis stall.

Around 250 hour mark, the bearings wear out and need to be replaced. I just had y bearings go out at the 189 hr mark on a machine.

Replaced the bearings - no more y axis stall.

3. Default

Is there a guide to changing the bearings? I have searched the forums, and have even tried to get the bearings out on an old Y-motor that failed on me, both to no avail. Not exactly sure how to get the bearings out so that I can replace them.

Here is one link to a thread - search bearing replacement. Al aka digitalwoodshop has pictures posted - I will look for them and post the thread

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthr...ng+replacement

Here is a thread with a picture http://forum.carvewright.com/showthr...ng+replacement

One bearing is removed from the back the other is removed from the front. You can use a small punch to help pop them out, usually the inside bearing comes out with the gear shaft.

Here is a link to buy beairngs if you don't have any - http://www.avidrc.com/product/1/bear...-bearings.html

CHIEF YOUR THE MAN i BOUGHT SOME BEARING FROM THEM WORK GOOD sorry for the caps and was looking were to buy them again
    Henry

Every one has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.

Quote Originally Posted by chief2007 View Post
    You said you are over 250 hours, if you haven't done so you need to change the y motor bearings. This would be the most likely reason for your y axis stall.

Around 250 hour mark, the bearings wear out and need to be replaced. I just had y bearings go out at the 189 hr mark on a machine.

Replaced the bearings - no more y axis stall.

I am at 183 hours and periodically getting y axis stall. So I just ordered 4 from your link, at $1 each doesn't seem worth it to only order two.

8. Default

OK, so I replaced the Y-bearings and I even replaced my flex shaft cable with another cable that I had purchased from LRH as a spare. Did a test carve (mpc attached) with no issues and thought I would try to run that carve that kep stalling out (mpc attached). Got the same stall in the same place as before (see pictures). The only thing that I haven't been able to replace is the cut motor brushes, because they are on backorder at LRH and I am waiting on them to be shipped. The only thing that I can think is that the brushes are worn down enough (over 250 hours) that when a heavy load is put on the bit that it stalls out, but I do not know enough about motors to know if this could be the case. Anyone have any ideas?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1101.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	2.27 MB 
ID:	58999Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1103.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	2.18 MB 
ID:	590001test.mpc94th Redraw Carve 1.mpc

It is easy to check the brushes. Take the cover off the CW and you can remove the top brush cap to check the condition of the top brush. Use a fat tipped screw driver and be careful not to strip out the slot. I had one I had to cut a new slot with the dremle tool to get it removed.

Hard to tell but what bit are you using? 1/16 or 3/16?
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

10. Default

Sorry it took so long to reply. Using a 1/16" bit, and replaced the motor brushes. They were worn down to less than half, which I believe was significantly reducing the efficiency of the cut motor. So I replaced them, and am running a cut now where I was getting Y-axis stalls on deep cuts. So far, so good, I have gotten past two of the previous stall locations. One other question, though. Got my hands on some of the CRC dry moly lube and lubed the flex shaft, expecting it to work well. However, am experiencing some significant heating around the point of maximum curve. I thought that this dry lube was supposed to be the best thing?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1115.JPG 
Views:	20 
Size:	2.69 MB 
ID:	59217

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast