Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Two tone stain on cherry.

Default Two tone stain on cherry.

So I have a request to do a multi layer sign with two tone staining on cherry wood. I'm thinking there is a problem. If I do say a darker stain on the background and leave the lettering natural, once the cherry naturally ages and turns dark it won't look as good correct? Has anyone done this before? I would have to stain pretty dark to still have a contrast in say 20 years. No matter what finish I use it will not prevent the natural aging. Thoughts and suggestions? I think I will have to suggest a different species.
    Kansas Wood Shop
    Disabled Veteran owned and operated
    Visit www.kansaswood.com
    A machine with rock, CS machine, Designer 3, centerline, conforming vectors

good forward thinking, but don't worry too much about it.

I've seen some cherry stained carving that looks just fine after many years- it isn't as stark of a contrast but it still looks great. Natural dirt/dust/etc accumulating seems to help keep a contrast too. If I can get a picture the next time I'm over I'll take one for you. (it is a hand carved marriage plaque at a friend's house)

Lawrence

This is going to be the trick, trying to stain the majority of the sign and leaving the top layer (first names) and the hearts natural without getting stain on them. Thinking if I carefully apply lacquer to the parts staying natural since it's thicker than shellac, and use a gel stain since it's thicker, maybe I can get by with it. Any suggestions?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Thornburg Preview.PNG 
Views:	99 
Size:	904.9 KB 
ID:	58927
    Kansas Wood Shop
    Visit www.kansaswood.com

Name:	photo.JPG 
Views:	112 
Size:	318.9 KB 
ID:	58928

This sign was carved from pine, but the darker letters were dyed mahogany. I use analine dyes. In this case a coat of polyurethane was applied over the bare pine, then the letters were dyed. The poly seemed to keep the dye from running at all.

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by dehrlich View Post
    This is going to be the trick, trying to stain the majority of the sign and leaving the top layer (first names) and the hearts natural without getting stain on them. Thinking if I carefully apply lacquer to the parts staying natural since it's thicker than shellac, and use a gel stain since it's thicker, maybe I can get by with it. Any suggestions?

Name:	Thornburg Preview.PNG 
Views:	99 
Size:	904.9 KB 
ID:	58927
    Yup, coat the whole thing in a washcoat of 1# shellac, slop the stain into the background (a little care will help), then wipe any drips off the lettering/hearts with a kitchen sponge or rag dipped in mineral spirits. keep rinsing/squeezing the sponge to keep it cleanish and you'll be able to get almost all the color off where you don't want it (if you don't let the stain harden) After drying, you can always sand off the letters to remove anything that didn't come off with your first attempt

Lawrence

Would be so much easier to just paint the highlighted parts LOL
    Kansas Wood Shop
    Visit www.kansaswood.com

that works too- I just thought you wanted stain in the background similar to these

Lawrence

This is how we have been doing it. Using cypress and dealing with shellac. Then painting two colors and then laying three coats of spar urethane. Ready for the outside.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails uploadfromtaptalk1358216909687.jpg  
    Custom Stadium Coin Racks for displaying Military Challenge Coins, GeoCoins and the like- http://www.etsy.com/shop/stadiumdisplays
    OR http://shop.ebay.com/stadiumdisplays...&_trksid=p4340

yup, that works too- it just takes me longer/I have to be more careful about the painting My artistry skills pale compared to many of y'alls...

Lawrence

No, I would like to paint, the customer wants stain so the grain shows... so guess who wins LOL. Just don't want to mess it up 'cause this is going to be like a 7 hour carve. Hopefully once I change to the Rock, I can best quality and get optimal results to save time.

Just finished this one... too bad I can't sell 'em!

Name:	Jayhawk plate.JPG 
Views:	62 
Size:	655.2 KB 
ID:	58946
    Kansas Wood Shop
    Visit www.kansaswood.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast