Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rotary board layout problem?

Default Rotary board layout problem?

Ok I have a question, I know what the board layout is supposed to be.
    But I've done 5 carvings and I end up with this gab where it starts and finishes.
    I am post a picture, it starts on the left and finishes on the right. Now I'm far from being great with math
    I saw somewhere to calculate the dowel it would be 2 x 3.14 pi ?
    If so that doesn't come out to the current board width as indicated, I got 6.283 etc

Thanks
    Jim

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gap.JPG 
Views:	65 
Size:	692.5 KB 
ID:	58846
    " The Hurdier I Go, The Behinder I Get"

Your board setting should be 6.727" length and 14" wide and make sure your pattern is stretched so that it covers the full width.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Quote Originally Posted by fwharris View Post
    Your board setting should be 6.727" length and 14" wide and make sure your pattern is stretched so that it covers the full width.
    I have the board laid out exactly to those dimensions
    I set the pattern to 6.727 in the size area. I'm trying another carve now
    I took the pattern a bit past the edges of the board
    This time it didn't start off with the line as it did before.
    Weird thing though is I was trying to replicate rope so I used
    A pattern that was post of Threads. The picture shows it carved at .50
    Which gave me approx 1" diameter, which I wanted
    But the pattern didn't show as I had it set at a height of 10.
    Now I set the same pattern at 200 carving at .75 and its
    Not even close, Ill post a picture in awhile

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	58847

Here's a photo, still carving

Edit: While Im waiting for the carve to finish
    I got thinking I believe I read on here somewhere
    If I were to setup a carve region first then apply my pattern
    Would that help make a deeper carving?

Name:	2nd carve.JPG 
Views:	38 
Size:	574.6 KB 
ID:	58854

Ok here's a shot of the second carve, it didn't carve a line as it did previously, but it did overlap.
    I think this is due to pattern position, I had adjusted the height and depth on this carve to enhance the detail.
    But it raised the depth from the previous carve. I did go back into Designer and put a rectangle over the rope looking area.
    I made this a carve region with a depth of .5 which in Designer will do what I want it to do, I'll find out tomorrow
    Last edited by James RS; 01-12-2013 at 03:47 PM.

Where do you get the 6.727 from? 2 times Pi is 6.28318... On my rotary jig, the length of my patterns were tweaked around 2Pi.

Ok that's what I got also, but in the instructions it's 6.727 and bergerud I'm also a little confused on your Torus flat mpc.
    It's 4x8x1

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    Where do you get the 6.727 from? 2 times Pi is 6.28318... On my rotary jig, the length of my patterns were tweaked around 2Pi.
    Last edited by James RS; 01-12-2013 at 03:39 PM.

If you look at the length of the two torus pattern, it is 6.28 long. The size of the board does not matter! So it rolls the dowel a little before it starts.

James,

I have always used the instructions as written by Ed:

When setting up a up a project layout to carve on a 2-inch Round stock in the
    CarveWright Designer, I make a new design board 6.727 inches long by 14

Then, using the Square tool, I draw a 12 x 12 square over my design board,
    right-click this square and select Center, Center Both from the pop-up menu. The
    area enclosed on the board itself, is the actual area that can be carved within.
    When carving on round stock, you must leave a “One Inch Clear Area” on the top
    and bottom of your layout view (i.e., the ends of the dowel) un-carved. This one
    inch clear area keeps the round stock centered under the carving bit, and is used
    to rotate the round stock. (fig. 2) Staying inside the square guidelines will
    automatically provide the required One Inch on each end of the 14 inch long round
    stock when it is carved. I usually make that square a Carve Region, and set my
    preferred depth.

The only variation I have done is the carve region size as this is set up for the full length carve of the dowel and I have done some that were smaller in size. Some where in the discussion here on the forum is the explanation of why he uses 6.727.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

It makes sense to have the design board longer than the circumference of the dowel, but if you make a pattern and expect it to line up with itself after carving around the dowel, then the pattern length better equal the circumference.

I have mine setup like this, I was just wondering if this could be what caused the gap in my carving.
    It was unwrapped for a 2 inch diameter in Aspire

James,

I have always used the instructions as written by Ed:

When setting up a up a project layout to carve on a 2-inch Round stock in the
    CarveWright Designer, I make a new design board 6.727 inches long by 14

Then, using the Square tool, I draw a 12 x 12 square over my design board,
    right-click this square and select Center, Center Both from the pop-up menu. The
    area enclosed on the board itself, is the actual area that can be carved within.
    When carving on round stock, you must leave a “One Inch Clear Area” on the top
    and bottom of your layout view (i.e., the ends of the dowel) un-carved. This one
    inch clear area keeps the round stock centered under the carving bit, and is used
    to rotate the round stock. (fig. 2) Staying inside the square guidelines will
    automatically provide the required One Inch on each end of the 14 inch long round
    stock when it is carved. I usually make that square a Carve Region, and set my
    preferred depth.

The only variation I have done is the carve region size as this is set up for the full length carve of the dowel and I have done some that were smaller in size. Some where in the discussion here on the forum is the explanation of why he uses 6.727.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast