Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Location of Pattern Folders

Default Location of Pattern Folders

I've been meaning to ask this question for some time. I have patterns scattered over several folders. How that happened, I have no clue. Some are the stock patterns that came with the software, some are ones I bought online, and some are ones I created. Many of them are duplicates of the same patterns. Attached is a captured portion of the screen showing the folder list.

So, I have two questions, well three actually.

1. Why are they scattered all over?
    2. What folder should they be in?
    3. If I move them all to the correct folder, will past projects lose those patterns since they are expecting to find them in the "original" location?

Dave
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pattern Folders.jpg  

You have duplicates because at one time you have been in the main CarveWright folder and double clicked on the file "favorites.mpn". You should never double click on files with the .mpn extension. The folder is the operating folder created when you installed designer and contains the favorites file, basic patterns and patterns/collections you have purchased and installed from CarveWright.

File location is...C:\Users\YOURNAME\CarveWright.
    When you add/import a pattern into designer it is added to the favorites.mpn file so that it will show up in your pattern list in designer. When you go to this location you will see in your case 3 different favorites files. One should just be labeled favorites and the other 2 will have numbers "favorites123" etc. The ones with the numbers can be moved or deleted. This should remove them from your patterns list.

You should never use this folder to save your patterns or projects to. Use one that you set up in your regular documents folder.

Any pattern in your projects are associated with that project and not your pattern list so no issue with your question #3.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Quote Originally Posted by fwharris View Post
    You have duplicates because at one time you have been in the main CarveWright folder and double clicked on the file "favorites.mpn". You should never double click on files with the .mpn extension. The folder is the operating folder created when you installed designer and contains the favorites file, basic patterns and patterns/collections you have purchased and installed from CarveWright.

File location is...C:\Users\YOURNAME\CarveWright.
    When you add/import a pattern into designer it is added to the favorites.mpn file so that it will show up in your pattern list in designer. When you go to this location you will see in your case 3 different favorites files. One should just be labeled favorites and the other 2 will have numbers "favorites123" etc. The ones with the numbers can be moved or deleted. This should remove them from your patterns list.

You should never use this folder to save your patterns or projects to. Use one that you set up in your regular documents folder.

Any pattern in your projects are associated with that project and not your pattern list so no issue with your question #3.
    So,if I move all the patterns to C:\Users\YOURNAME\CarveWright am I correct in thinking that will get rid of the multiple folder selections like "favorite", all my patterns will be there, and my previous projects will still be OK?

Quote Originally Posted by djarboe View Post
    So,if I move all the patterns to C:\Users\YOURNAME\CarveWright am I correct in thinking that will get rid of the multiple folder selections like "favorite", all my patterns will be there, and my previous projects will still be OK?
    NO! You do not want to move your patterns to that location. That location is for the CarveWright software (Designer) system only. Patterns are added to the favorites file when you open/import them in Designer so that they will be in your pattern tool list. When you down load a pattern or project, like from the forum, you should save them into a totally new folder in your documents area.

The only way to get rid of the multiple "favorites" is to go to that location with "file explorer" and either delete or move them to another location out side of that folder.

The patterns that are in your projects are totally separate and have nothing to do with your pattern tool list other than that is where you got them to place then into your project.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Buy CarveWright

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

NO! You do not want to move your patterns to that location. That location is for the CarveWright software (Designer) system only. Patterns are added to the favorites file when you open/import them in Designer so that they will be in your pattern tool list. When you down load a pattern or project, like from the forum, you should save them into a totally new folder in your documents area.

The only way to get rid of the multiple "favorites" is to go to that location with "file explorer" and either delete or move them to another location out side of that folder.

The patterns that are in your projects are totally separate and have nothing to do with your pattern tool list other than that is where you got them to place then into your project.
    So, If I move all the patterns in the various "favorites" folder to something like c:\user\Dave's XPS\CarveWright Favorite Patterns, how will Designer know that is where to look for the "favorite folder"? Just to complicate things, I also have other patterns in the "CarveWright" folder. Do I move them too? I really messed things up by not understanding how CW handles patterns. See the attached thumbnail.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pattern Mess.jpg  

Are all of these is your C:\Users\YOURNAME\CarveWright folder?
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Buy CarveWright

Are all of these is your C:\Users\YOURNAME\CarveWright folder?
    No, they are scattered throughout several folders. I don't know how I did that.

That is good that they are not in the CarveWright folder. Then all you need to do to get the duplicate favorite files out of designer is to go to the C:\Users\YOURNAME\CarveWright folder and either move them out of it or just delete them so that they will not show up on your pattern tool list.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Buy CarveWright

I you have different patterns in the secondary favorites folders, you should move them into the main favorites folder before you move the secondary ones out of the subdir (or delete them)

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    I you have different patterns in the secondary favorites folders, you should move them into the main favorites folder before you move the secondary ones out of the subdir (or delete them)
    I think you and fwharris are giving me much more credit for understanding what to do than I deserve. If you look down this thread, you will see I have three "favorite" folders and two "basic" folders, the latter being what came with designer. All three of the "favorite" folders have exactly the same patterns. Both of the "Basic" folders also have exactly the same patterns. I also have three patterns that are not in any folder. I would like to have only one "basic" folder that contains the patterns that came with designer, and one "Favorite folder that contains the patterns I have accumulated/made which did not come with designer. I'm not sure how or where Designer finds these patterns, nor how it would find them if I consolidate my "favorites" into a new separate "favorite" folder.

It's too bad Designer does not have a setup function that would show the properties (location) of the patterns.

Again, I think I have made a real mess of this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast