Thread: Desk Name Plate Question

Default Desk Name Plate Question

So I have put together my pattern for a name plate for a co-workers desk. Its not nearly as fancy as I had it pictured in my mind initially, but I realized fairly quickly that these dont really give you a ton of space to work with! So I kept it simple. My question is how do I add a bevel to the center carved region on the base, so that the plate saits at a bit of an angle? Of course any additional advice is more than welcome.

Kevin

Desk Plate.mpc

I made several changes:

Set the depth of the letters and patterns to the same depth as the carve region and then adjusted the heigth.
    Applied a medium draft to the letters and patterns. I think this is the bevel you wanted.
    Centered all on the board<br>
    Widened the base to accomodate a fancy border ( applied the 3/8" classical bit to the rectangle).

I usually bevel the bottom of the plate with a stationary disk sander and then adjust the slot width. May take a couple of test cuts though.
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 01-10-2013 at 08:27 PM.
    Steve

For the beveled/sloped carve region use the "select surface" tool and look at the top dome.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Steve looks good .I might have to carve one when i get a desk Job.Lol

Wow, Steve I REALLY appreciate the help, somehow I overlook the same thing over and over again! I love the edge route and really thank you for adding that on. The bevel I was referring to is to the middle region of the base, in that little carved rectangle region. I want to cut that region so that it slopes at an angle, so when the plate sets in the carved region it sits at an angle.

Like this:

http://www.lulusoso.com/upload/20120...name_plate.jpg

I usually bevel the bottom of the plate with a stationary disk sander and then adjust the slot width. May take a couple of test cuts though. My previous post has an example.

EDIT:
    For the profile around the base is usually better to use a router table. It's faster and easier.
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 01-10-2013 at 08:30 PM.
    Steve

Now that is nice going to carve one thx
    Henry

Every one has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.