Thread: Missionary Africa Support Project (Tabs and Vector cutting)

1. Default Missionary Africa Support Project (Tabs and Vector cutting)

So I am trying to help my friends out with a T-Shirt making project that supports a missionary to Africa. I want to trace take my imported DXF of AFrica and put tabs in it. I normally am able to get tabs in there for most of my cut paths, but I am struggling to get this shape of africa to tab out. Any help out there?Africa Reclaimed.mpc

I have never used cut path on a board so thin. I do not know if the tabs work. As an alternative, undo the cut paths and just assign the cutting bit to the depth of your board (1/8"). Using the break tool, delete small sections of the curves to make your own tabs .

I looked at your mpc and the cut paths you have assigned and do not see anything except that one of them you have the 3/16" bit assigned and the other two is the 1/8" bit. Visually in designer you will not see the tabs, is this is what your are asking about?

The board thickness is only 1/8" with a 0.07 max pass on the cut out.

What material are you using?
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

You could do like I do using the machine to cut out plastic with a 1/16th inch end mill.

Make the path many ways from using outline to a carve region of the art or simply manually draw around the item.

Once you get your path then assign the 1/16th ball nose bit for placement if you are cutting more than one. Once done with placement, select the path and select the 1/4 inch round nose bit. Then set the depth of your cut to cleanly cut through the item with NO TABS... It's a Vector Cut with no tabs.

You ask why the 1/4 inch ball nose.... Well, you are going to lie to the machine.... You are actually going to install a 1/16th OR 1/8th inch End Mill Bit but tell the machine you are using a 1/4 inch. WHY? Well the machine normally with a 1/16th or a 1/8th cutting bit that has a plunge end or a cutter on the BOTTOM will cut at two different FEED RATES. A 1st gear I like to call it.... on corners then a faster 2nd gear on long areas.... Sometimes this 2nd gear is TOO FAST.... The Bit can't cleanly cut.... BUT when you tell the machine you are going to use a 1/4 inch bit then it locks the FEED RATE into 1st gear.... Giving you a SMOOTH cut in THIN STOCK like my plastic tags. One picture shows Rough Edges with the 1/8th inch bit and even the 1/16th end mill bit in a 2 speed cut.... With the 1/16th bit the machine was pushing the bit faster than it could cut.... LHR told me about selecting the 1/4 inch round nose bit but still use the 1/16th bit to cut for a 1st gear slow speed SMOOTH CUT....

My 1/16th End Mill bit cut from a 6 inch long bit used for my Star 912 rotary engraver.

Now for the NO TABS... What I do is use double stick tape to hold the plastic to my Carrier Board that has Scrap pieces on either end, so I just replace the tape and 12 x 24 sheet of plastic and cut another.... I also use place on END all the time too.

I am working on a Vacuum Sled...

Good Luck,

AL

I have been to Africa, Togo, Ivory Coast and one more place I can't remember the name.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MPC 1.jpg   DSC09390_WEB.jpg   DSC09402_WEB.jpg   DSC09393_WEB.jpg  

DSC09417_WEB.jpg   DSC05190_WEB.jpg  
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com