Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: The CarveWright Mantle Clock - January 2013 Project of the Month

Default Finished Project

Finally got around to finishing the Mantle Clock. The clock will be donated to the local Family Literacy Auction in April. I have built them something every year for the last 15 years or so and the clock will be paired with a serving tray this year (I have it designed, but yet to be carved). I hope it raises a few dollars for them. It is an extremely worthy cause and they serve a lot of people every year....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MantleClock1.JPG 
Views:	117 
Size:	773.8 KB 
ID:	60052
    John
    www.jdmwoodworks.com
    Facebook Page: click FB button on web page

Bessemer, MI (shop location)
    Lake Gogebic, MI (where I hang my hat)

"He who wants by the yard, but gives by the inch, should be kicked by the foot"...

Wow, John! The Oak looks great and really steps it up a few notches!

Thank you for your thoughtfulness and dedication to donate items for auction to such a worthy cause. Very commendable, indeed!
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Thanks Michael,
    The clock is actually made of ash, but it sure does look like a tighter grained oak. I usually build furniture of some type for this auction, but since I bought my CW, I really like to come up with something that may fit the pocketbooks of most of the attendees a little better. This organization is one of my favorite charities as they serve several thousand folks a year helping them learn how to read or deal with a reading impediment. I have always felt if you can't read, you will have a tough road ahead, no matter what else you have going for you.

Thank you for the kind words....You just keep doing the super job you do with the POMs and I will always haver something to put in the auction
    John
    www.jdmwoodworks.com
    Facebook Page: click FB button on web page

Bessemer, MI (shop location)
    Lake Gogebic, MI (where I hang my hat)

"He who wants by the yard, but gives by the inch, should be kicked by the foot"...

Finished the mantle clock, I used select pine from the big box store and the label said it came from Sweden. It was really stringy and made for a carve that was terrible to sand and make look decent. If I do another I will try something that doesn't need stained. I actually tossed it aside months ago because of the sanding. I have no idea what kind of wood that 'pine' was but I want to use no more of it... Ever.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails uploadfromtaptalk1379978718563.jpg  

It might have taken some sanding but your clock looks very nice. I especially like the clock face you used. I don't know why the US can't produce enough pine instead of all those imports. Some of the last pine I purchased came from New Zealand and it seemed softer than pine from the US or Canada.

It does look like all the work came out great. Here in Missouri where I live pine cost me more than Oak, Walnut, Maple, or Cherry, go figure

Just call it a "protoype". The important thing is you still have the file , so maybe you can find a piece of walnut oneday and make another.
    1.187 Custom Woodworking for more than 40-years

Quote Originally Posted by dltccf View Post
    Finished the mantle clock, I used select pine from the big box store and the label said it came from Sweden. It was really stringy and made for a carve that was terrible to sand and make look decent. If I do another I will try something that doesn't need stained. I actually tossed it aside months ago because of the sanding. I have no idea what kind of wood that 'pine' was but I want to use no more of it... Ever.
    The clock turned out great! Can't tell from the photo that you had "sanding issues".

Yeah - wood! Big Box stores never know what wood they'll get next. I have the same issues you describe, but with Poplar. I have friends who "swear" by Poplar, but the stuff we get here yields bad fuzzies when machined. Someone told me there are 30-something wood species that come under the generic title of "Poplar" (I don't know if that's true or not). I suppose different parts of the country get "good" or "bad" Poplar, depending on location and source.

I still have exceedingly good experiences with the Select Pine from my local Lowes store. Carves very well and not much prep/sanding required. Hit it with the yellow 3M wheels and I'm good to go.

SmokenD...
    My source for Maple was a local cabinet shop...went to get re-supplied awhile back and found they had gone out of business. Too bad...Maple was cheaper than the Select Pine I buy at Lowes. I think I may have found another hardwood source, but an hour's drive away (Savannah). A local CW user clued me in on it about a week ago and he says I'm going to love the place!
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234