Thread: 2 more pen boxes... along with a frame (not made on carvewright)

Default 2 more pen boxes... along with a frame (not made on carvewright)

Today I made a couple of commissioned pieces - first was 2 more pen boxes (like this one)

While those were carving on my carvewright I made a velcro backed frame ordered for a retiring AF member. The velcro will allow him to display his flight suit patches from 24 years of aviation. The frame is half lap joints screwed and glued together. I covered the screwholes with inlayed ebony square plugs. (fun to make, not as fun to inlay!)

Once again I was reminded how important hearing can be when using hand tools... I had to pause my machine while doing the finishing smooth planing... I just needed that audible feedback to go with the feel to get the "right effect".

Lesson learned... Sometimes I just have to turn off the music, football game, Carvewright, etc... and get right up and personal with the material to understand what my tool is doing to it.

Thanks for looking and as always your comments and feedback are appreciated.

V/r
    Lawrence

Great job on both. I love the Arts and Crafts style frame. I have always admired the square plugs. My wife wanted kitchen cabinet doors like that at one time. Not sure if I will share your pics with her.... it may mean more work

Wow that is nice great job
    Henry

Every one has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.

Nice work. I like the pen to what kind of wood is that? Is it something burled? I've recently discovered the joy of making pens and I can't stop. haha Now I need to start making pen boxes I guess.

Fantastic Job Lawrence! One of my rules, never have any other noise in the shop going but the machine I am using. No exceptions!