Thread: How to finish a Family plaque

Default How to finish a Family plaque

Hello everyone, hope you had a great Christmas.
    I have made a plaque for my house and and really want to give it an exceptional look but my finishing experience leans more to either slathering with a brush and cover the whole thing or drown it with a spray paint can. I really would like somethine simple but elegant. Something I can use as more of a show piece. I welcome any suggestions. I have thought of stain with maybe gold letters??
    Thanks, Tom

Hill House.mpc

Very nice design Tom,

As you noted simple but elegant. A couple questions to help guide your fellow Forumites. Planned for indoors or outside? Then if outdoors, undercover or exposed to rain and sunlight? What wood did you carve the sign from? If you can attach a photo it will again aid us in offering you suggestions. Please let us know.
    Fair winds,

Capt Bruce
    Kinney deSigns http://kinneydesigns.us
    CarveWright START U Team Member.

30 year USN SEABEE, the original Weapons of Mass Construction.
    Designer Ver 1.187 and 2.007, Ver.3.001 One 2009 B CW w ROCK and a 5th Year Anniversary C CW
    Rotary Jig, 2D and 3D, Tracing Probe, DFX and STL Importers

radman have you carved this pattern very nice .What is the finnish on you house

Nice design and layout. Depending on what wood you use to carve this on and the stain you use would be my determining factor for what paint color you choose. I've found that it is easy to apply to much stain. Much better to go with light coats and as per instructions after letting it sit for several minutes wipe of the excess to get an even coating. Some times gold does not show well from a long distance.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

I'm having trouble opening this mpc. What version was it created in?

Quote Originally Posted by CNC Carver View Post
    I'm having trouble opening this mpc. What version was it created in?
    I am running 186 and no problem opening it
    Henry

Every one has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.

Thanks. I was using 1.84. I upgraded to 1.86 and opens fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Bruce View Post
    Very nice design Tom,

As you noted simple but elegant. A couple questions to help guide your fellow Forumites. Planned for indoors or outside? Then if outdoors, undercover or exposed to rain and sunlight? What wood did you carve the sign from? If you can attach a photo it will again aid us in offering you suggestions. Please let us know.
    I carved this piece on "Premium" pine from Home Depot, the same wood I used on my AMC sign which I shared a couple of weeks ago. The AMC sign has clear polyurathane on it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AMC Logo copy.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	391.2 KB 
ID:	58373
    My son helped remove the plaque from the car yesterday and I do not know where he put it. As far as where I will put it, as I said in my post, I plan to use it as a show piece to sell so it would probably be best to go to the extreme and prepare it for outside use with full exposure. To give you an idea I have added the picture that was my inspiration.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	House of.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	58374
    Last edited by radman5506; 12-31-2012 at 04:35 AM. Reason: fix AMC attachment