Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Stacking tool paths and using "Inset" for finish pass

Ok, that is strange. Did you upload the project after you changed the firmware or did you just change the firmware?

I just used the firmware from 1.179. I used Designer 1.186 to upload the project.

Edit: I originally used both Designer 1.179 and its firmware but I got the same result just using the firmware.
    Last edited by bergerud; 01-06-2013 at 07:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mtylerfl View Post
    It defies my logic...seems like the machine would always remeasure when selecting a different project, regardless of leaving the board captive under the head...

Question...does the machine behave this way ONLY if the second project selected has the same board dimensions? This has me really curious.
    This makes sense to me. Regardless of project size, whether the project fits on the board, is too big, or is too small, the board needs to first be measured. Once measured, and as long as the head is not elevated, the machine can know that the same size board is in place. No need to measure the board again; it has already been measured. Changing projects doesn't change the physical board in the machine.

I use this two files for the same board/project technique when carving corian.
    First file is an out line of the pattern to be carved using the 3/16 cut bit.
    The second file is for the actual carving and cut out.
    Now the only time I use this technique is when I am using .500 stock corian and I set the carving depth at .510.
    The benefits of this technique;
    While carving the pattern it is also cutting the pattern out at the same time.
    The machine does not have to plunge through .510 on every pass.
    And the 1/8 cut bit does not have to cut through all that corian.

I used Designer 1.186 to create a new file so I could move the area to be cut. At the same time, I selected the firmware 1.176 that you posted. They both went to the machine; I verified by checking in "Options". Out of time tonight but will try again tomorrow. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by heftyh View Post
    I used Designer 1.186 to create a new file so I could move the area to be cut. At the same time, I selected the firmware 1.176 that you posted. They both went to the machine; I verified by checking in "Options". Out of time tonight but will try again tomorrow. Thanks.
    We're very interested to know the results!
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Like many of you here, I thought the jumping motion during cut-outs was just my C machine and it was time to clean the belts and rails again. Definite stair steps and little scallops. I'm glad this has come to light and others are confirming the symptoms even if not yet the cause, before I did anything counterproductive .

It really did make a mess of the edges on todays project and cost me an extra 1 1/2 hrs of edge grinding and sanding to clean it all up.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0029.JPG 
Views:	32 
Size:	1.51 MB 
ID:	58684 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0034.JPG 
Views:	28 
Size:	1.43 MB 
ID:	58685 These were taken after the clean up work was done.

I really hope the team in Houston can track down and fix this problem because I'd hate to have to go back to cutting out everything on my scrollsaw.
    Fair winds,

Capt Bruce
    Kinney deSigns http://kinneydesigns.us
    CarveWright START U Team Member.

30 year USN SEABEE, the original Weapons of Mass Construction.
    Designer Ver 1.187 and 2.007, Ver.3.001 One 2009 B CW w ROCK and a 5th Year Anniversary C CW
    Rotary Jig, 2D and 3D, Tracing Probe, DFX and STL Importers

Default Test Results: 2nd batch

OK- I did the entire test again:
    - I reformatted the memory card.
    - Made a new series of Cut Paths & Routes in Designer 1.186
    - Moved the file to the memory card but selected firmware 1.179 (supplied by bergerud) along with it
    - Verified on the Options menu that it was running v 1.179
    - Ran the file and the Cut Paths were rough and jerky while cutting. The Routes were smooth.

Bergerud, In your post below, are you saying that you created the project in Designer 1.179 and Designer 1.186? Can't tell if you made the file again using Designer 1.186 and then ran it using firmware 1.179. If your project was made with Designer 1.179, then the bug must be in Designer 1.186.
    - I requested from Carveright to get a copy of Designer 1.179 (phone call and email today). Have not heard back yet.
    - Does anyone have Designer 1.179 they can email?
    Thanks, John
    Ok, that is strange. Did you upload the project after you changed the firmware or did you just change the firmware?

I just used the firmware from 1.179. I used Designer 1.186 to upload the project.

Edit: I originally used both Designer 1.179 and its firmware but I got the same result just using the firmware.

I have a copy what your email addy
    Henry

Every one has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.

In my test, I made a simple circle cut path in designer 1.186. I the uploaded it to two cards. One card had firmware 1.179 and the other card had firmware 1.186. As you saw, the 1.179 was smooth and the 1.186 was jerky. (My first test used Designer 1.179 and its 1.179 firmware and that was also smooth.)

There must be other variables here. MT said his was smooth while others say theirs are jerky. I am running Windows XP Pro and my machine is a B. I do not know what other variables there could be. (I also have all of the add on software.)

I must say, though, that my test does show that the jerking is related to software and not hardware. Unfortunate that it appears so complicated. It might be hard find the problem. Even if you do run Designer 1.179, it might still be jerky.

I hope we hear from LHR about this.
    Last edited by bergerud; 01-07-2013 at 07:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by heftyh View Post
    OK- I did the entire test again:
    - I reformatted the memory card.
    - Made a new series of Cut Paths & Routes in Designer 1.186
    - Moved the file to the memory card but selected firmware 1.179 (supplied by bergerud) along with it
    - Verified on the Options menu that it was running v 1.179
    - Ran the file and the Cut Paths were rough and jerky while cutting. The Routes were smooth.

Bergerud, In your post below, are you saying that you created the project in Designer 1.179 and Designer 1.186? Can't tell if you made the file again using Designer 1.186 and then ran it using firmware 1.179. If your project was made with Designer 1.179, then the bug must be in Designer 1.186.
    - I requested from Carveright to get a copy of Designer 1.179 (phone call and email today). Have not heard back yet.
    - Does anyone have Designer 1.179 they can email?
    Thanks, John

guest you don't want it that bad lol
    Henry

Every one has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast