Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Stacking tool paths and using "Inset" for finish pass

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Stacking tool paths and using "Inset" for finish pass

I am trying to do a standard machining technique to get a smooth finish pass.
    - Cut path "A" is a step cut with a max pass depth of 0.070". Material is 3/8" polycarbonate. Inset = 0.000"
    - For cut path "B", I am copying and pasting cut path "A" on top of itself (with a new name). Then I turn OFF max pass depth so it cuts all the way through. I also set Inset = 0.015" to try and get a nice skim cut that gives a fine edge.
    Here is the problem: when I do this, the machine cuts "B" first even though it is second in the carvings list. So, I did it again but first changed the order of the cut paths in the carving list. Same thing happended.
    Dos anyone know how to take control of the order of the cut paths so I can do the step cuts first and then come back with the finish pass?
    Thanks,
    John

John,

What appears in the carving list has nothing to do with the order of cut. I do not have a good answer for the correct way to set up what you are doing other than 2 different mpc files. first one with your A cut pass and the second with your B..
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

I tried 1.184 firmware and it was the same. I cannot go back any further than that.

It is good to hear someone else is having cut path stepping. I would think it convenient if the cut path depth steps were offset by the inset value and the final cut was on the mark. We could get a smoother finish cut without separate paths. I thought it was my bearings but after replacement and maintenance, the cut-out stepping continued. I also wish I could see where the tabs were going to come out and have the ability to move them to where I want them. Sometimes they come out in a place that makes cleaning them up harder. I hope that a software fix is the answer!

OK, I have filled out the online form and asked for software support on the issue. I referred them to this post for more details of what we are seeing so this would be a good time for any additional info to be added. If I get any feedback that they do not post in this thread, I will add it.
    Since I use the machine for Cut Paths, and now they are so rough, it is basically unusable. I have added an additional picture. "Route" is on the left, "Cut Path" is on the right.
    I would still like to know if someone has a software version that does not have this issue that could be sent or posted. Thanks, John
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1899.JPG  

I have done some more tests and let me say first that I was not able to repeat the smooth cut from 1.186 in any way I tried. It did not matter which firmware was loaded by which version - jerky. I am at loss to explain how I thought I got smooth cuts from 1.186 with 1.179 firmware. The simplest explanation is that I made some kind of mistake. Sorry heftyh. What I can report is that I get smooth cuts from Designer 1.179 using 1.179 firmware (or 1.186 firmware). If you remove Designer 1.186 and install 1.179, I believe you will get back to smooth cuts.

http://www.carvewright.com/assets/do...gner_1_179.exe
    Last edited by bergerud; 01-07-2013 at 09:53 PM.

Bergerud- OK- I feel better that our tests match now; was really confused till your last 2 posts. This is good since I think we can all get running again.
    Henry1- sorry for the delay but I ran the Carveright tests when I hit the shop tonight and had to switch to production mode. Just back on the PC now.
    I just noticed that Bergerud posted a link to 1.179; see the bottom of his last post. Thank you! I will test Tuesday night and report what happens on my "A" machine.
    Thanks, John
    Last edited by heftyh; 01-07-2013 at 09:58 PM.

Can I revert to an earlier Designer and load projects created with a later one? My current is 1.186 and the previous version I used is 1.180 - I wonder how it behaves. I suppose I will have to test it.

Would it be possible to set up one of the cutpaths on the reverse side of the board. When the board asks for it to be flipped, Don't flip it. just set it to do the cut. I am not sure if the CW carves the rear of the board first or last I havent done any two sided carves yet, but it may be worth a try.

FW,
    I was woried that creating and running 2 different files would create an offset between the 2 cuts (with all the rehoming and measuring). I am only skimming 0.015 so it is a very small cut. If we can figure out a way to make this happen, it will give you beautiful finishes on edges. The most recent ones I have done using an Onsrud O flute 1/8" bit give an edge almost equal to a mill. So- I guess this will be a head scratcher for a while. I will continue to experiment but suggestions will be very welcome.
    I know the machine picks its own sequence for carving but I think it would be a nice feature to add this functionalilty for cut paths. As an interesting side note- specifying the tabs the same way on the 2 cut paths caused them to land in the exact same location so at least that worked as I hoped it would.
    Thanks, John

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast