Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Some of my Christmas gift projects

Quote Originally Posted by dehrlich View Post
    Very cool stuff! Wondering if you would share the pattern for the turtle trivet? My daughter has recently gotten in to collecting turtle stuff and would love that. Thanks!
    Yes I will share that. Because there is a font involved I'll PM you with the links.

Quote Originally Posted by badbert View Post
    Nothing like raising the bar! Wow are those nice! And your finishes are too cool! My mother would love that punch assist. Did you make it using the Carvewright? I would also like to see that pull toy in motion. Great projects!
    The top handle was cut out with the CW and the name and rose are centerline fonts. The edges were rounded over on a router table. The two halves of the base are finger jointed with a 3/16" dowel through the joint for added strength. The hinge is a simple 2" hinge - thought about the possibility of the hinge being loose fit finger joints afterward, maybe next time. Under the top handle is a 1" half round about 2 1/2" back from the hinge which pushes on the punch. Attached is an MPC of the cutout for reference.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Very nice! I have a stupid question, what is a trivet? I had never even heard of cribbage until I got on the forum. I guess I need to learn how to play huh so I can make me one.

Not a stupid question, you're only stupid if you don't ask...

A trivet is an object you can set a hot pan or plate on to protect the surface it is set upon. Many are iron, ceramic, or other materials, but wood works too.

Nice Gifts.The wife loves her scrapbooking .That cribbage board looks very nice.

Oh I see and the wood won't get scorched and ruin the piece?

They hold up well to standard pots and pans, a cast iron frying pan may be another issue. But I just recommend using the back side to set the pan on and put the pretty side out when you display them. I also tried to keep paint to a minimum and the only finish is mineral oil so it can stand the heat, I don't think lacquer and poly would hold up as well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12