Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Here is my take on Bert's Jesus Face/Cross

Default Here is my take on Bert's Jesus Face/Cross

Had on old bug eaten board that I've been saving for that special project and when I saw Bert's Jesus Face/Cross I knew I had to try it. The back piece is walnut. The first picture is the project just out of the machine, the second has one coat of tung oil, and the third picture is a second face carved from the same piece of wood. Meanwhile, a third face is just coming out of the CW. Sorry to say the third piece is the last piece of the buggie wood.

Have a question... looking at the third picture you will see a bug-hole just under the left eye. What would it look like if I filled this cavity with a red epoxie? And, without researching older threads, what do you color the epoxie with? The third piece has three holes just under the right eye...so can't make up my mind to use epoxie or just live it plain.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0051D.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	155.3 KB 
ID:	58209Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0052D.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	99.3 KB 
ID:	58210Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0053D.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	98.7 KB 
ID:	58211
    Last edited by SharonB; 12-30-2012 at 01:49 AM.

I wouldn't it is part of the misteek of the picse
    Leo Davenport
    Enjoy Life Carve Something everyday

Bonney Lake, Washington, United States, 113160055365328, Bonney Lake, Washington

Nice job Sharon, I would leave it alone I love the wood colors. I have not used expoxie.
    Tom Watson
    Two CW's and D.C.-Top Mount Insert @ Ringneckblues.com Get the dust out!!
    50" X 48" PDJ Pilot Pro CNC http://www.pdjinc.com

Check out my Facebook page for current carvings at http://www.facebook.com/signsinwood

Watsons Wooden Words http://www.signsinwood.com & Messages in Wood http://www.messagesinwood.com/

Make it 3! Great combination!
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

I color epoxy often - it works well in that it fills cavities well-

To color it, I use several different things- if I am looking for a difference in color or metal fill (turquoise, black, etc) I use inlace acrylister fills- they aren't cheap, but are built for epoxy coloring and a little goes a long way.

If I am looking to color match, I'll stir my epoxy on a little piece of glass that is on top of the wood I am trying to match- I'll add color (usually mixol brand dyes)
    http://www.woodcraft.com/product/200...tones-set.aspx
    To mix it I add the mixol with a toothpick (a VERY little... like a pinhead) goes a long way and will mix the epoxy on the glass until the color matches. Unlike stains/inks/paint the color will not change as it dries and the color you see on the glass is the color your get in your epoxy. Mixing it on glass allows you to get an exact color match.

I hope this helps, if feels funny giving finishing advice on one of your posts!

The carves are lovely too btw, great job! My .02 is to leave the holes

Lawrence

I hope this helps, if feels funny giving finishing advice on one of your posts!
    Agreed! And +1 for the holes! They are natures carvings... Excellent Job Sharon!
    "Carved with Love"

Happiness comes from within.
    But joy comes from helping others.

Measure twice... and then sneak up on it!

Sharon that is nice and will carving some today and have some old barn board gotta give it a try
    Henry

Every one has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.

Could you just mix some glue and sawdust?
    " The Hurdier I Go, The Behinder I Get"

What great work! I agree with the others - Leave it as it is.

Ms Sharon, I know how you see things outside the box when it comes to a finish. If you can see it, I think do it. If it's not there, don't. I mix my two part epoxie with just Acrylic and works out ok for me. I think I can see it in that cross, it up to you

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast