Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: I miss the Original Forum

He was temporarily banned for multiple logins and those deactivated. Plus, warned not to create new login or face permanently banned. I check often. I'm sure he is enjoying all of this attention.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

I also want to thank ever so much those that provide these wonderful free patterns! I support you so much. I also am not puter literate and designing things is still way over my head. Someday I am coming to one of you guys in person for help. I learn so much easier in person than reading. I just don't understand the words. Sorry, but I easily admitt I ain't so smart, not gifted that way but excell in another from years ago. I have several free patterns and have never sold a one. I enjoy making things for folks and just give them away. Right now am making 5 flag display boxes that I will just give away to widows of service men that have passed away. The free patterns that I have I make and give away for charity donations although I guess that you could streach it and say they are being paid for but I guarantee for a very good cause. I make no money off them and will continue to make things for folks free of charge as long as I am blessed to do so. Sorry again for rambling on, but I guarantee that there are probably many others that just love making things and giving them away, or at least I hope so. Again, thank you ever so much for such wonderful free patterns. Please don't let the very few that cause distress and cheat have the many pay for their unforgiving behavior. There are so many of us, like me, that appriciate you tallented guys so much. But, I do understand the problem those few guys have caused and the need to do what necessary. I was just so luck to be here a few years ago when patterns showed up every day for us. It was so much fun to get on this site to see what someone created each day, I know you guys were trying to out do each other every day. It was fun and still is!!!

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    Banning by email or IP would not stop anyone determined. If they made a new account and used a proxy server there would be no way to connect that user to an ebay account.

That's why I suggested built in password protection, which would put the owner of the file in charge. It's not foolproof either, but I'd think it would be more effective. Since the owner's name is in the file, it would even be possible to require unique passwords for each user. This puts more load on the file owner and less on LHR.

We can actually encrypt our files now using external software, but if it was incorporated into the pattern files it would have the benefit of trying before using.
    Generally, the mechanics of banning someone amounts to clicking a button. Not hard to do. Keeping him out is also easy. There are at least two folks on the forum that check every new ip address that is associated with new members signing up. Its not likely he would last long before being banned again. His supply of IP addresses is limited and they already have two of them. Not that many available to most people. Besides if everyone here knows who he is, he isn't that smart (obviously).
    It is my understanding that LHR is hesitant to ban someone based on accusations. As much as it bothers me, I have to agree. There is little evidence that would stand up in court (if it came to that). Even though you can't hire a very good attorney on an income based on sales of stolen carvewright patterns. Also, he is not the only one. There is one in Florida, if I remember correctly. I think his Tshirt business folded (LOL no pun intended).

My suggestion would be to post pictures and exchange patterns and projects via email so you know who you are dealing with. Alternativly, use one of the other forums that may already have this person banned.
    Last edited by TerryT; 12-30-2012 at 07:06 PM.

What if we changed the rules, a little bit. Maybe in order to be part of the forum, you have to use a valid machine serial number. You could give the pattern section, elevated membership. Registered owners only.
    Last edited by badbert; 12-30-2012 at 12:38 PM.
    "Carved with Love"

Happiness comes from within.
    But joy comes from helping others.

Measure twice... and then sneak up on it!

He has a valid machine serial number.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

But he only has one! Banning would be permanent, unless he wanted to buy another machine.
    "Carved with Love"

Happiness comes from within.
    But joy comes from helping others.

Measure twice... and then sneak up on it!

Guys, I'm going to go ahead and chime in here- please bear with me as I don't mean any offense.

It's not LHR's responsibility to keep anyone from reselling patterns on ebay.

If theft/resale of intellectual or copyrighted property is taking place on Ebay,
    it is the creator's responsibility to press ebay to stop the seller.

My suspicion is that the person selling patterns on ebay knows that the majority of folks will not go to the trouble to do this and is taking their chances.

I spoke to an intellectual property (copyright) attorney about this situation (granted, it was at a party) some time ago and his initial take (other than, call me at the office and I'll bill you!) was

"if folks are using already created artwork (drawings) to create these 3d models, then the work is not their own anyway, it is a derivative of the original artist's work" It is the same thing as if someone creates a sculpture from a drawing... just because they make it into a 3d object does NOT make it theirs." He hesitated to go into more detail and I didn't try... we were at a social function and I didn't want to be "that guy".

http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ14.pdf

Now, as for the artwork that is completely original.... (and I know that there are lots out there that create their own work)

If the patterns are completely original then it is a different story and the creator can certainly try to stop this seller from selling their work on ebay, but it is still not LHR's legal or moral responsibility to do so- that function belongs to the creator of the original work.

All this being said,
    Dangit... it's a holiday weekend... lets try to give Connie a break here and start this discussion up again next week if y'all feel it is necessary to do so.

V/r
    Lawrence

I think this subject has been rung through the wringer by now. Let's on to more constructive conversations please.
    Happy carving , Jeff Birt

Check out www.soigeneris.com for CarveWright Accesories.

Home of the 'Carving in the Dark' back lit LCD kit!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234