Page 33 of 37 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast

Thread: Dust Shoe Prototype for the Carvetight

Dan,

As a test of the modified dust shoe, I carved a modified version of the cyclone cap. This time, before the carve, I cleaned out the bag on the minivac, and carved and cut without the small opening acrylic dust cap. Ie, the area around the chuck was open. Unintuitively, this left behind much less dust primarily due to the shavings not escaping through the small opening in the acrylic cap during the 1/8" bit cutting operation. (See photos, which represent all the dust left behind after ~45 min carve and cut of the cyclone cap in plywood.). Am wondering with your design whether simply deeping the sides (ie, basically turning the shoe into a mini ducted fan) and eliminating the small opening cap will produce a similar result, thereby eliminating any issues whatsoever associated with a deep bobbing chuck...

[ On another note, with respect to the cyclone cap, rather than deal with a 1.1" deep carve, I mimicked your design, but split the carve into two (2) 3/4" deep carves in plywood, and then glued the halves together. I was hoping that by doing so I could also carve in the channel for the 1" diameter intake hose, but could not get designer to faithfully reproduce a half cylinder, so resorted to a forstner bit afterwards, which was a pain. Will post findings later in the cyclone thread... ]

R, Jon
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dust Shoe Variant - Dust 1-600.jpg   Dust Shoe Variant - Dust 2-600.jpg   Dust Shoe Variant - Dust 3-600.jpg   Cyclone Cap - Two Parts-600.jpg  

Have you looked at the newer dust shoe version? I posted the main body yesterday. It is more like a ducted fan housing as you suggest. It still has to remain low profile, however, for the bit plate. As far as you not needing the window, you also have a much larger air flow. (My goal is the get all the dust. The more dust you get, the more each escaping speck bothers you! )

Sorry, didn't see your latest variation... busy working on cyclone for the last day...

With respect to the volume of air flow, I read with much interest the other thread you had concerning tapping into the cut motor fan as the vacuum source. The advantage of your current shoe design is that if it requires less air flow and is just as (or more) efficient, then if someone could figure out how to tap into the cut motor vacuum, it would hold a clear advantage...

Quote Originally Posted by JLT View Post
    Sorry, didn't see your latest variation... busy working on cyclone for the last day...

With respect to the volume of air flow, I read with much interest the other thread you had concerning tapping into the cut motor fan as the vacuum source. The advantage of your current shoe design is that if it requires less air flow and is just as (or more) efficient, then if someone could figure out how to tap into the cut motor vacuum, it would hold a clear advantage...
    I worked for awhile on the cut moter fan trying to get more vacumm out of it. In the end, I figured it would just be another maintenance task to clean out the cut motor fan. It would get all gummed up and not everyone would be up to the task of taking the cut motor apart.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0105.JPG 
Views:	28 
Size:	2.01 MB 
ID:	59465Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0106.JPG 
Views:	25 
Size:	2.00 MB 
ID:	59466Well this dust prototype second batch work out realy good with my sledClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0108.JPG 
Views:	25 
Size:	2.02 MB 
ID:	59467 dust cap is next bring it on love trying your project bergerud
    Last edited by henry1; 01-28-2013 at 11:12 AM.
    Henry

Every one has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.

I think I have the top ready but I have not had a chance to carve it yet myself. I was having trouble which I think was caused by the new puffing. As soon as I know it carves right, I will put it up. I really do not want to post it if it still needs work.

I hear you, and want to thank you for all you have done
    Henry

bergerud any luck on the top prototype dust collection the second one you started and thak you again love mine I have now
    Henry

I second henry1 on everything, love this project and your work on designing it
    Stephen Allen
    Patterns By Stephen
    Pattern Super Store

I am working on it right now Henry. (I have not had much carving time since this week.) I cannot seem to get the thing to carve right. I need to tweak a few things but I cannot because the front and back do not line up when I carve them. I thought it was a puffing bug but now I do not know. I may have to post it so you can carve it.

Page 33 of 37 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast