Page 29 of 37 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: Dust Shoe Prototype for the Carvetight

I have had an idea as to the Rock problem. My new prototype is much wider than the first prototype. This extra width allows for an insert which could give the Rock the room required by putting the window nearly on the wood. This is yet untested and the insert may not be wide enough or deep enough for the Rock. The idea is here. I need some numbers. How close to the wood does the Rock come? My insert is 1.125 diameter which I think is barely enough, but, the chuck would not be spinning while bobbing in the insert.

I think this idea is better than making the whole shoe easily removable. (Which is what I worked on all weekend.)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rock 1.JPG   Rock 2.JPG  

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    Here is what I have. This was before I added some thickness to make it easier to carve!
    If you put it in stl program I can't open it,, I don't have the software yet
    Henry

Every one has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.

Dan The rock measurements i can get for you right now are Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0015.JPG 
Views:	37 
Size:	637.3 KB 
ID:	59187 diameter Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0016.JPG 
Views:	35 
Size:	786.4 KB 
ID:	59188 length from bottom of the rock to approx bit end Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0018.JPG 
Views:	33 
Size:	625.5 KB 
ID:	59189Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0020.JPG 
Views:	35 
Size:	360.4 KB 
ID:	59190Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0021.JPG 
Views:	29 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	59191distance below the main body of the dust shoe with full extension of the Z
    Stephen Allen
    Patterns By Stephen
    Pattern Super Store

From your pictures, it looks like the Rock would hit the board. Does it really go that far down? How long is the Rock from the bottom of the truck (bearing) to the bottom of the main body? What is the diameter and protrusion of the adapter? The dimensions of the thing are not making this easy. Is there an allen bolt sticking out the side like the CT?

Are the STLs of any use? I could put the pipe together as a single STL. Is that what you need?
    Last edited by bergerud; 01-23-2013 at 12:40 AM.

I have just done some experiments with blocking the lower travel of the z truck. (Does anyone know what stops the z truck travel? There is a pin for the top travel but the bottom is a mystery. I remember thinking that the belt clamp hits the lower plastic pulley! ) It seems that the travel can be reduced by up to 3/8 of an inch before the software notices and returns an error. If this is true, I can make a dust shoe for any chuck with a window just above the board which does not need to be removed for the bobbing.

I will post a video of the new lower window in action tonight.

Bit plate?

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2
    Custom Stadium Coin Racks for displaying Military Challenge Coins, GeoCoins and the like- http://www.etsy.com/shop/stadiumdisplays
    OR http://shop.ebay.com/stadiumdisplays...&_trksid=p4340

Quote Originally Posted by unitedcases View Post
    Bit plate?

I was talking abut the lower travel limits of the z truck. This is way past the level of touching the bit plate. It is when the machine is bobbing for the sliding plate. Is that what you meant?

I guess I misunderstood what you were asking. I know the machine homes to the squaring plate after all that. As far as its bottom depth I have no idea.

Custom Stadium Coin Racks for displaying Military Challenge Coins, GeoCoins and the like- http://www.etsy.com/shop/stadiumdisplays
    OR http://shop.ebay.com/stadiumdisplays...&_trksid=p4340

Board depth is the only way i know that it stops the z truck travel. I will get the measurement you asked for after work. Around 4:00PM EST

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0022.JPG 
Views:	31 
Size:	600.8 KB 
ID:	59202Here is the measurement from the bottom of the bearing from spindle to the end of the 1/2" to 1/4" collet i use. It is similar in thickness to the pressed on bushing on LHR bits
    Last edited by Sallen1215; 01-23-2013 at 04:53 PM. Reason: addition info
    Stephen Allen
    Patterns By Stephen
    Pattern Super Store

Quote Originally Posted by Sallen1215 View Post
    Dan, i have tried several attempts to make the pipe connection and have has various problems, what i would like if you have it is the complete tube in an stl file, i have access to a 3d printer with extruded plastic and would like to give that option a try. It would be smoother and a cleaner look to the pipe since that is the most crucial part of the build.
    Sallen, I too have made sawdust out of 6 attempts at the pipe carve. It seems that my machine is not as closely calibrated as some. The pipe consistently carves through on the top cut at the edges of the inside tube. I give up!!
    The problem with communications is the illusion they have occurred.

Page 29 of 37 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast