Page 23 of 37 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: Dust Shoe Prototype for the Carvetight

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    After the measurements are taken, we think you can put in the window for the carving part. The chuck should not go below the shoe will carving. Without the window, there will be some escaping chips. Watch and see if a window is possible after carving starts.
    tomorow will have more time have to go out 35 wedding anniversary got to please the wife lol
    Henry

Every one has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.

Congratulations Henry! You are truly blessed......Here's to 35 more!!!

I don't have a Rock, just looking at the pictures, could an open cylinder attached to the shoe work, such that the Rock would close the top off when carving?

Quote Originally Posted by chief2007 View Post
    Congratulations Henry! You are truly blessed......Here's to 35 more!!!
    Thank you chief for that,, all when off good
    Henry

Every one has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.

Quote Originally Posted by DickB View Post
    I don't have a Rock, just looking at the pictures, could an open cylinder attached to the shoe work, such that the Rock would close the top off when carving?
    I think that would work but it would still have to be removed for the bit plate part of the measuring process.

I did not expect so much Rock interest. I thought everyone had or will have a CT and really designed it only for the CT. (Strange that there is no QC interest.) I wonder what the ratios are for the different chucks.

My idea now is to make the shoe easily removable (held on with say, magnets). CT users can leave it on (if they want to use the new bit plate) or switch it on and off if they want to keep the original bit plate. For QC and Rock users, there would be no need to replace the original bit plate since the shoe has to come off during measurement anyway. Then there are no problems with big bits or the scanner. Just leave the shoe off. This is the only way I can think of to make it work for all chucks. (Popping the little window in and out for us fat fingered woodworkers would just be annoying.)
    Last edited by bergerud; 01-18-2013 at 08:53 PM.

is there enough strength in magnets that would be able to fit on the space allowed on the z truck?
    Stephen Allen
    Patterns By Stephen
    Pattern Super Store

Space is always the challenge with this thing! After a few days of thinking about it, I have an idea.

only option i can think of is to drill the truck and epoxy in rare earth magnets and then a mating magnet epoxied to the dust shoe, and assuming it doesn't mess up the electronics i guess it should work.
    Stephen Allen
    Patterns By Stephen
    Pattern Super Store

Quote Originally Posted by Sallen1215 View Post
    only option i can think of is to drill the truck and epoxy in rare earth magnets and then a mating magnet epoxied to the dust shoe, and assuming it doesn't mess up the electronics i guess it should work.
    No, I would not alter the machine. My Dust Cap is removable. There is a base bolted to the carriage which the cap clips into. I can take it off if I need to without unbolting. I am planning the same type of thing except having some magnets between the two parts.

Here is a video of the already obsolete prototype 2. (Notice the chip that flies out right away and lands on the sliding plate. Back to the Designer board. LOL.)

http://youtu.be/DyZGDuG-Ifk

(Notice how close the pipe comes to each end Stephen. Everything is so close.)
    Last edited by bergerud; 01-18-2013 at 11:51 PM.

Your machine works beautifully. i can envision a "keyed" type connection with the magnetic connection to ensure not only a magnetic bind but also a mechanical bond. i love your machine use, it makes me desire to carve a new pipe to try to get mine to work again.
    Stephen Allen
    Patterns By Stephen
    Pattern Super Store

Page 23 of 37 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast