Thread: Probably an easy question

Default Probably an easy question

Okay, I've created a basic shape using the spline tool. And I want the center of the design to be routed out. I thought the "clip carving" tool using the inclusive option would do it, but it's not working. Can someone tell me where I've gone wrong? I'll upload the project for you to look at.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I know some how you have to make all the line segments one unit, so when you click on one all of the highlight. Then you would be able to do cut out, just not sure how to get them together yet.

like this?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Malfunction put me on the right track. For some reason I could not see the Form submenu when I rightclicked at the start. It appeared and I was able to alter my shape to fit.

Thanks.

That works but you DO NOT want to use carve region to cut out something. You need to use "Cut Path" so it will leave the tabs. If not the inside piece will come loose and that could cause problems.

You do not have to select bit either, you only have to select cut path and it automatically uses the cutting bit.

i don't think he wants to cut it out (i could be wrong though). i thought he wanted to create a recessed surface and add some stuff inside of his frame. that's why i wrote to adjust the depth of cut to what he wants it (doesn't have to go all the way through).
    if you don't expect too much from me, you won't be let down.

Quote Originally Posted by Malfunction
    i don't think he wants to cut it out (i could be wrong though). i thought he wanted to create a recessed surface and add some stuff inside of his frame. that's why i wrote to adjust the depth of cut to what he wants it (doesn't have to go all the way through).
    Ah, that could be, I was reading it at cutting out but I see now he may just want it down a 1/4" or so. At least he knows both ways now.

Thank you both for your responses. Malfunction was right in that I only wanted a recessed portion inside the area. I don't think we intend to do full cutouts at all with the machine (when it arrives at last). We will be doing primarly carving decorative designs, not pierce work.