Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: can you do litho with 1/2inch stock?

Question can you do litho with 1/2inch stock?

Hi, i am wondering if you can use 1/2 inch corian stock to do lithos? i have done a few now with 1/4 inch and they turned out very nice to my surprise.and from all the help i got from everyone here on the forum.

I have nevr used 1/2, but I would diffenitly take not take cuts above .23. Please post the results. I would be interested to see how the light comes throught
    Leo Davenport
    Enjoy Life Carve Something everyday

I do it all the time. Here's one being picked up this afternoon....

I've also attached the MPC so you can see what I've done to depth and height.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20121218_143956.jpg   IMG_20121218_144052.jpg   IMG_20121218_144537.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Livin' Life
    Lovin' My Carvewright

I should point out something.......

For the first time in doing a bunch of lithos, the first pass of the carving bit went thru pretty fast, causing me to skip a couple of teeth on the gear (I was really lucky that I didn't break the teeth). The bit was plowing thru Corian at a full .37" deep pretty quickly as the pattern was basically flat at that first edge. Bad thing is that I ruined a piece of Corian - by skipping the teeth, the axis was offset so that the machine carved too far into the border.

The way I fixed that problem was to carve in Optimal mode (I always do the Lithos in Best). Optimal slowed down the carve, and resulted in less of a big bite on that first pass.

The other way to fix that problem would have been to give the project a Carve region to a depth of .25", and feather the Region, then add the pic in the CR. The feather would have resulted in lesser bites as well.

I'm basically carving the Corian about .37" deep, but once in the carve, you're only taking a small bite each pass.

Lesson learned for me - won't happen again.
    Livin' Life
    Lovin' My Carvewright

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3735.JPG 
Views:	151 
Size:	1.93 MB 
ID:	57874Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3737.JPG 
Views:	177 
Size:	4.05 MB 
ID:	57875I only do litho's in 1/2 inch corian it shows greater details and depth.
    I carved at a depth of .375 with bit optimization at best and feather at 1/8 inch.
    I used 1/4 inch corian and it simply looks like a photograph without any depth.

those look great i can't wait to try it. i have done 3 lithos so far with 1/4 inch and only one really looks good. so i have alot of practice to do and just hope i can some day get as good as you guys

Canemaker what height did you use ?
    http://william.bowen.com/:)
    ("There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance-that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
    - Herbert Spencer )

Quote Originally Posted by Canemaker View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3735.JPG 
Views:	151 
Size:	1.93 MB 
ID:	57874Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3737.JPG 
Views:	177 
Size:	4.05 MB 
ID:	57875I only do litho's in 1/2 inch corian it shows greater details and depth.
    I carved at a depth of .375 with bit optimization at best and feather at 1/8 inch.
    I used 1/4 inch corian and it simply looks like a photograph without any depth.
    Is that 1/2 or 1/4 inch. Looks great
    Leo Davenport
    Enjoy Life Carve Something everyday

I used 1/2 corian with a height of 999 and a depth of .375 for maximum depth of field
    Last edited by Canemaker; 12-20-2012 at 09:03 PM.

Bonney Lake, Washington, United States, 113160055365328, Bonney Lake, Washington

That came out beautiful, I have never used 1/2". I think I will give it a try. Thanks for showing us.
    Tom Watson
    Two CW's and D.C.-Top Mount Insert @ Ringneckblues.com Get the dust out!!
    50" X 48" PDJ Pilot Pro CNC http://www.pdjinc.com

Check out my Facebook page for current carvings at http://www.facebook.com/signsinwood

Watsons Wooden Words http://www.signsinwood.com & Messages in Wood http://www.messagesinwood.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast