Thread: aromic ceder

Default aromic ceder

I'm not to familair, with other woods home depot and lowes just sells popular, ceder and pine. I know that to keep the aroma in the cedar You don't polyuathane it because it would seal it. what type of oil do you use to make the shine I've seen on hope chest and other things made of ceder?

Couple things to consider on Aromatic cedar. First, it has a natural oil on it that will prevent some finishes from curing. Wipe it down with alcohol or sand it right before you finish it. On a cedar chest you always leave the inside unfinished to get the scent, just make sure it is sanded really good to like 220 and cleaned well. On the outside you can apply shellac or danish oil. Dust is a big respitory irritant, wear a dust mask!

I completed a cedar lined hope chest for a client a couple of months ago and didn't put anything on the cedar. I think any type of oil will diminish the usefulness of the cedar...
    John
    www.jdmwoodworks.com
    Facebook Page: click FB button on web page

Bessemer, MI (shop location)
    Lake Gogebic, MI (where I hang my hat)

"He who wants by the yard, but gives by the inch, should be kicked by the foot"...

4. Default

I agree with John. Anything that fills the pores will inhibit the release of the aroma. However, on projects that the aroma is not a concern aromatic cedar carves great, looks beautiful and finishes great with laquer. I have done many projects with aromatic cedar and it is a great wood.