Thread: 1/16th cutting bit

1. Default 1/16th cutting bit

Hello just trying to get new machine to cut some things here it asked me to load 1/16th cutting bit after it asked for 1/8th.

I located small 1/16th bit in tiny narrow plastic box but it is not mounted in quick release adaptor its loose.

I cant find any adaptor or quick release adaptor in drawer so not sure I have what it takes to run that tiny bit.

I have another fluted type bit that looks 1/16th but its not straight like this small one is.

Do I need to buy quick connect and straight 1/16th bit and is this straight bit which is in narrow plastic box an extra ?
    Do I need to purchase a quick connect and straight 1/16th because im pretty certain I asked for the works so id not be looking for
    parts or waiting but I cant get the loose bit mounted.

Im just doing a simple address on a pine board 1x6 or so.. 12 inches long.
    It called for me to change bit and put in 1/16th bit but I have no straight cutting bits like that but this one thats loose.

How do those bits mount in adapters ? just hammer down in and hammer back out ?

Thanks im stuck and if I just need to buy quick connect and 1/16th bit ill do that.

Are you sure that the machine is asking for the 1/16" cutting bit and not the 1/16" carving bit? The 1/16" carving bit, sometimes refered to as a ballnose bit, is tapered and is usually used for raster carving. The 1/16" cutting bit is used for cutting in shallow (less than 1/2") material. If you have a Carvtite chuck they both come with a pressed on adapter. I don't think you can use the 1/16" cutting bit with a QC chuck.
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 12-12-2012 at 10:50 AM.
    Steve