Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Horse Head Pattern

Quote Originally Posted by dehrlich View Post
    Why would the lube trash the top bearing on the truck? I am going to replace the flex cable assembly now, because I found a split in the outer covering... sure that is not acceptable. Still waiting on my new cut motor, ordered on Thursday and never got an email it was shipped.. emailed this evening to find out why. Bad time to have machine down. Even though I am new to this, I already have several projects that need to be done in a few weeks.
    That is what we have been told, the bearings are suppose to be a sealed type. This is from the trouble shooting section

If the Z-truck is running hot, it is most likely an issue with the spindle (bearings, tolerance rings, or quick change). A bad or improperly installed flexshaft or a dull or loose bit can also cause the Z-truck to heat up. Adding any sort of lubrication to the flexshaft other than the prescribed Chain Lube with Moly will get into and destroy the bearings.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

The problem being what I call molecular displacement. Some greases and oils have too high a viscosity (too thick) to be able to lubricate an extremely tight tolerance bearing. It is like trying to spin in molasses.
    "Carved with Love"

Happiness comes from within.
    But joy comes from helping others.

Measure twice... and then sneak up on it!

I see, thanks. Like I said, gotta order a new flex shaft, so will just order a new top bearing in case I need it, can't be that expensive.

Not the best in the technical terms but several years ago I over-lubed my flex shaft with a 'thin' lube that was recommended by the CW people along with expectations of drying it and also allowing it to 'air' dry. Apparently I didn't do something right and the lube in the flex shaft worked its way down into the bearings of the chuck and thinned out the lube there (two totally different lubes)and very quickly destroyed the bearings. Unfortunately I wasn't closely babysitting a 13 hour carve and ended up with a mess when the spindle went bonkers and carved all over the place. The one thing I remember is that I could grasp the bit at the tip when snapped in place and wiggle it from side to side, should be locked in place. Replaced with a rock chuck back then, hope that's not your problem, good luck.
    Rick H

Default Hose head result

Attachment 57425
    Back to the original thread subject, I thought I would post a photo of the carving I made from Bert's pattern. It came out great! Carved in walnut. In the photo, which isn't the greatest (from my phone) the carving already has 2 coats of shellac on it so that it doesn't get stained when I stain the rest of the project. I sanded it carefully, leaving some of the texture in the mane. Those small points of the mane are very fragile. Anyway, thought I would share. Thanks again Bert!

That turn out real nice great job
    Henry

Every one has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.

Looks really good Darren. Bert made a really nice pattern and it looked like it carved great. Good work to both you and Bert.
    Using Designer 1.187, STL importer, Center line, conforming vectors, scanning probe/PE, and the ROCK chuck.

Eddie

You are very welcome! And it did come out nice!
    "Carved with Love"

Happiness comes from within.
    But joy comes from helping others.

Measure twice... and then sneak up on it!

Berts Horse Head pattern is now on the CNC Model Clubs website.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails horsehead-ren.jpg  
    Last edited by eelamb; 12-05-2012 at 07:49 PM. Reason: added image
    Using Designer 1.187, STL importer, Center line, conforming vectors, scanning probe/PE, and the ROCK chuck.

Eddie

Just updated the horse head pattern of Berts on the site to include an STL file. Also look at post before this one to see image of the horse head pattern.

Eddie

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234