Thread: Is NEW always BETTER?

Default Is NEW always BETTER?

This year my Gross Sales are about half of last year and for me it was more that many Fire Departments did not get as much Homeland Security Money for Safety Gear. On the Plus Side I have had a bunch of requests for prices so the Fire Departments can submit for Grant Money next year for Safety Gear including the Fire Accountability Tags that I make.

I use the CW to cut Tag Stock from 12 x 24 Sheets and I have cut many tags this year....

Back in February I switched my Epoxy Dome Version to a NEW Thicker Formula that gave me a higher Epoxy Dome on my Tags and a Great Look and Better feel...

This week I got a email from my local Salesman with pictures of tags that I did in the Summer... They were "Warped"... I thought it was a isolated incident.... I asked for a list... got back... "The Whole Order"....

Then I am cleaning my workbench and find another tag from Last Summer and another Big Order.... Before Sandy the Storm it was FINE.... After the Storm and Yesterday.... IT TOO is Warped.... I lost Power and Heat in the Shop during Sandy for 6 days... The Shop got COLD.... The "COLD" is causing the Tags to WARP... Epoxy Side Out, 4 underside corners warped toward the center.... Bummer....

Today I pulled up my Big Boy Pants and started printing all the tags over since February.... 1.75 Gallons Worth....

As I wait for the order of the OLD thinner Epoxy I think it is time to build that Vacuum Sled for my CW.... It will have different hardboard tops with holes for different size tags and changable.... I have allot of tags to cut......

So to answer the Question "Is NEW always BETTER?" in my case... no.... as in a very small...."no"...

On the GOOD Side... Looks like "Sales being down" was a Good Thing.... I still have a fantastic product... The Older tags don't Warp...

AL

Katie is fine.... old formula... Jackie is shaped like a Orange Peel... and all the others plus many not seen here...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC09390_WEB.jpg   DSC03528_WEB.jpg  
    Last edited by Digitalwoodshop; 11-27-2012 at 12:46 PM.
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Sorry to hear new fomula is letting you down. But glad you will be able to replace the tags for your orders quickly. Thanks for sharing all your knowledge of the carvewright machine.

Bummer - any recourse to the supplier? Will he foot for some more material?
    Livin' Life
    Lovin' My Carvewright

I asked the supplier and no go... Tried a buy one Gallon get one free... I am OK with that.... The Epoxy has turned my business from almost Bankrupt a few years ago to a very nice small business with a really great product...

From a friend on another forum.... the Glass is half FULL thinking..... Made me Laugh....

Al, that's an easy one!

(ring/ring......ring/ring.......ring/ring)

Al : Digital Woodshop, how may I help you?

Customer : Yes, I bought some tags from you and they are all curved.

Al : I apologize for that. You must have gotten our new Parabolic Tags by mistake. That's our new high end line with a Parabolic Curve built into them. It's our anti-glare system. Since it's curved, the light reflects differently off the face, reducing glare and thus reducing errors caused by glare on sunny days. Someone must have made the premium product instead of the less expensive, basic line. We can take those Premium tags back and make some of the cheaper ones for you, or, if you'd like to keep the Parabolic Tags, we'll take the hit on that and you can keep them.

Customer : Oh, I didn't know there was a high end tag. We'll keep these if that's okay

Al : Thanks for calling, have a great day!
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

It would be nice if we could turn situations like this into profits. Great thinking. Hope you can make a quick turn around on the tags.

I diffentely like your way of thinking. You almost made me wish I could have some of the curved ones.

Hmmm, what about a thin coat of epoxy or something like a groove cut on the b side to keep the expansion contraction the same ? I imagine it was hot this summer 2 so you could inclued a warning to keep at room temp...
    Last edited by liquidguitars; 11-28-2012 at 03:10 PM.

Now that is turning lemons into lemonade. Good luck with the problem.
    Leo Davenport
    Enjoy Life Carve Something everyday

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Digitalwoodshop View Post
    I asked the supplier and no go... Tried a buy one Gallon get one free... I am OK with that.... The Epoxy has turned my business from almost Bankrupt a few years ago to a very nice small business with a really great product...

From a friend on another forum.... the Glass is half FULL thinking..... Made me Laugh....
    Al, that's an easy one!

(ring/ring......ring/ring.......ring/ring)

Al : Digital Woodshop, how may I help you?

Customer : Yes, I bought some tags from you and they are all curved.

Al : I apologize for that. You must have gotten our new Parabolic Tags by mistake. That's our new high end line with a Parabolic Curve built into them. It's our anti-glare system. Since it's curved, the light reflects differently off the face, reducing glare and thus reducing errors caused by glare on sunny days. Someone must have made the premium product instead of the less expensive, basic line. We can take those Premium tags back and make some of the cheaper ones for you, or, if you'd like to keep the Parabolic Tags, we'll take the hit on that and you can keep them.

Customer : Oh, I didn't know there was a high end tag. We'll keep these if that's okay

Al : Thanks for calling, have a great day!
    Besides the glare issue they can be used to enhance hearing in noisey situations just place them next to your ear and the parabolic sound reflection lets you hear even wispers!