Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I'm almost Ready to Buy: Questions

As for patterns, I always design my own. I purchased a few at the beginning to get carving, but Now I use only my own designs because I want no copywrite issues when I sell them. A lot of Autocad, Photoshop, Designer 3d goes into them with many hours, but I get the exact Design I'm looking for. This is no easy step and there is no breezing through. But you can do it too with practice.

Z Motor Bundle isn't on store. Sorry. It is currently $125 and has a rebate.
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

There are very few machines still out in the CW world with the original 18 pin FSC system. Only a "A" would have one and I post the pictures at least twice a month when someone is talking about a old machine just to give them a quick reference to what to look for.... Like the Wings on the Connector... Wings = new 14 pin. I post it more as a Caution because I have seen posted more than once in the EARLY switch over where someone purchased a new 14 pin cable and installed it in a 18 pin jack and the wider pins of the 14 pin shorted some of the 18 pin thinner contacts together and KILLED the machine... That is a $300.00 Plus Mistake.... Usually it smokes the Computer... LHR has a policy that when they sell someone a 14 pin cable they check the User Data on the Machines Registered to that user to "BE SURE" they don't have a 18 pin system... It is the 2nd and 3rd machine owner I am more worried about... Finding a "NEW" "A" machine that was purchased in 2007 and a Frustrated Owner set it aside for a few years and it eventually finds it's way back into use... LHR could easily send them a 14 pin cable for that NEW machine that is not yet "Registered" and it "Could" have a 18 pin Board and Hence.... Another Machine KILLED....

Note the pictures of the Cooling Fins on the Z Motor. In the EARLY days of the 14 pin change LHR sold you a NEW Z Motor TOO with the Kit. The Advantage is the Protected Wire sleeve as seen in the pictures AND the Shorter Cooling Fins that did not get caught in the Right Side Cut Motor Switch WIRES as EASILY... Now they just send the 14 pin cable and the Circuit Boards that go on each end.

As I mentioned, I have 4 "A" machines and with a 14 pin FSC Cable System, a Glued Board Sensor, a Glued L2 Coil on the Power Supply I have a very RELIABLE machine....

I expect to change the Cut Motor Brushes every 250 Cut Hours, Change the Y Gear Box 2 Bearings every 250 Cut Hours, and EXPECT the FSC Cable to FAIL as it is a CONSUMABLE and with every Flex, ESPECIALLY if it has ANY SHARP BENDS will FAIL.... Just like taking a piece of solid copper wire like house wiring in your hand and bending it over and over... IT will eventually FAIL....

I use Sand Paper Belts and I know with 6 inch wide stock the belts DRIFT toward the Brass Roller and need to be watched.... I even cut off a 3/4 inch strip to keep a GAP between the belt edge and the Brass Roller.... IF the belt rolls under it is not easy to see and caused the board to lift off the Brass Roller OR Binds the Belts.... Rubber Belts are better.... But I like the Sand Paper Belts....

And Finally... The QC has it's share of problems.... MOSTLY due to Users "Like ME" that used them LONG past WORN OUT and the resulting Vibration shakes the machine apart... So a CT or ROCK is the Answer....

This has been a Public Service Announcement from the Matag CW Repairman "AL Who".... KNOW the Signs of a 18 PIN System....

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC06653_WEB.jpg   DSC06655_WEB.jpg   DSC06656_WEB.jpg   DSC06657_WEB.jpg  

DSC06659_WEB.jpg   DSC06660_WEB.jpg   DSC06680_WEB.jpg   DSC06680a_WEB.jpg  

Last edited by Digitalwoodshop; 11-26-2012 at 09:51 AM.
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Quote Originally Posted by bquicksilver View Post
    Re: software, the "art" was a big concern for me. I understand you're looking to take a 2d jpg and make a 3d carving, therefore adding data to that file of course. I was just curious what software that action would require and how automated/easy it is. I guess the question is if the software somehow speeds the jpg to carve process or if you're manipulating every single pixel to get there?
    This is a common question. Take a look here http://forum.carvewright.com/showthr...977#post189977 at the difference between a 2D .jpg and a 3D (some would say 2.5D) heightmap that the machine can use. Making the transformation is not automated and is "easy" only with (as with many other things) learning and practice. For comparison, is making a bookcase "easy" for an experienced woodworker with a well-equipped shop who has already built several? Probably. Is it easy for a novice woodworker to do so with only a hand saw and a hammer? Probably not. With the CarveWright, the tools that you may be adding to your shop could include software (Pattern Editor, Centerline Text, DFX Importer, 3rd party software) that, once learned, will make it easier to do things. Actually, there is a lot to learn and master in the basic Designer software itself. But just like a table saw can't build a bookcase on its own, these software tools can't make patterns or projects for you by themselves either.

There are many ways to transform 2D .jpg images for CarverWright, some producing better results than others. There are a number of tutorials on the site for these various techniques. Maybe someone should compile an index, as this is a common new or prospective owner question.

5. Default

Al you"r right, got my attention 4th axis that would plug in to the machine as a stand alone rotary capable of long project with the easy to use Desinger Software and all the patterns would be awesome Just wordering if any thing is in the near future Thanks Bert

Quote Originally Posted by lynnfrwd View Post
    Don't know how many of you caught it in the newsletter but machine prices are going up around Christmas / new year time frame. Don't know how much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The LAYAWAY option might be a great choice to lock in the current price on the machine now if you know you might be holding off for the big purchase at a later time....
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

I don't know for sure but I believe a 4 Axis "was" considered by LHR at some point... I half expected it to show up some Pre Christmas to raise the interest in the CW. If you search back, a User has developed a Rotary Jig with LHR support that uses a Carrier Board in the machine and a Jig to hold a blank of wood in the machine sideways. The Motion of the board through the machine rotates the fixed blank. Yes, it is limited to the Width of the machine, some Cain Makers just glue the carved part to the end with a Dowel and blend it in.... Works Great....

Another User "Hinted" that He removed the jacking screws to lift the head and replaced them with 4 Air Cylinders letting the Center of the Machine or where the Jacking Screws "Were" for a Pass Through... Moving the Keypad to the side, a longer blank could be fit to a hollow type jig. It is only your imagination that limits what a resourceful person could do with the machine....

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

I'm humbled by all the good advice here. This has become somewhat of a buyer's guide. Thanks all, especially to Al!!

More Questions:
    1) Al, so you feel the fsc cable upgrade is more important than the HD belts or CT spindle? Seems you have the former but not the latter in your machines.
    2) The "slightly heavier casting" - was that an A to B change or B to C? Is it a notable upgrade?
    3) The black washer fixing the wedge issue, was that A to B or B to C, or is that an easy fix for anyone?
    4) "Glued board sensor" - can you elborate on the issue?
    5) "Glued L2 coil" - can you elborate on the issue?

I'll try to save the software questions, but I am curious what software you feel is necessary to create your own patterns effectively?

Bquick. Check your notifications (at the top right of the forum pages) Question for your question regarding software.
    Ya gotta have a dream - otherwise you're just sleeping!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12