Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm almost Ready to Buy: Questions

Default I'm almost Ready to Buy: Questions

After lurking for quite some time I think the CW fits my needs of just being a hobbyist woodworker wanting greater flexibility. No production use for me.

I don't mind doing a little repair work/maint so I'm weighing a new C vs older unit. The used units seem to be going pretty high lately, and I can't find much in the sub-$700 range. I will fo U start if new, but frankly advise and warranty are best covered on this excellent forum, so those aren't big factors.

That said, I still have some remaining questions:
    1) What are the major differences from A to B to C? I know the CT spindle is a big one, but wasn't sure when that came in and what other changes were made over time.
    2) Can you upgrade an A version to all features of a C? I assume that may be prohibitive financially, but would really love to see the changes between models and the cost to bring an older unit up to a new C spec.
    3) Software: In short what would it take to have a simple image dropped into a 3d carving? Think some odd shape like a lake carved at the same depth just for illustration. What software would be best for that?
    4) Bits: What does a CT spindle bit look like vs the quick change ones? I seem to only see quick change ones on eBay.

Thanks In Adavance!

1: I would like the answer to this as well.
    2: The carvewright used to be much more expensive. People who paid that much have a hard time letting go... $700+ upgrades versus $1200 new is really a good deal.
    3: Download the designer software and play with it. http://www.carvewright.com/support-p...nor=186&os=win
    4: http://store.carvewright.com/home.php?cat=291

Welcome, come on and join the party!
    "Carved with Love"

Happiness comes from within.
    But joy comes from helping others.

Measure twice... and then sneak up on it!

Quote Originally Posted by bquicksilver View Post
    After lurking for quite some time I think the CW fits my needs of just being a hobbyist woodworker wanting greater flexibility. No production use for me.

I don't mind doing a little repair work/maint so I'm weighing a new C vs older unit. The used units seem to be going pretty high lately, and I can't find much in the sub-$700 range. I will fo U start if new, but frankly advise and warranty are best covered on this excellent forum, so those aren't big factors.

That said, I still have some remaining questions:
    1) What are the major differences from A to B to C? I know the CT spindle is a big one, but wasn't sure when that came in and what other changes were made over time.
    2) Can you upgrade an A version to all features of a C? I assume that may be prohibitive financially, but would really love to see the changes between models and the cost to bring an older unit up to a new C spec.
    3) Software: In short what would it take to have a simple image dropped into a 3d carving? Think some odd shape like a lake carved at the same depth just for illustration. What software would be best for that?
    4) Bits: What does a CT spindle bit look like vs the quick change ones? I seem to only see quick change ones on eBay.

Thanks In Adavance!
    A to B, changes was mainly the A907 Z truck upgrade that did away with the plug on the Z truck for the scanning probe. Change was made on some late A models.
    B to C, better machine build with upgraded frame, reinforcement to the electrical components, board tracking and the CarveTight chuck.
    You can upgrade the A/B units to the new chuck and A907 package.

Pictures show the original bits with the QC adapter and the new CT bits and chuck.

My choice for a first machine would be to go with the new C version. By the time you put $$$ into an A or B you are close to the same price for a new one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CarveTight_Installed_250.jpg   CarveTightCloseUp2.jpg   CT_Bits.jpg   100_2649.jpg  

RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Don't know how many of you caught it in the newsletter but machine prices are going up around Christmas / new year time frame. Don't know how much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

Quote Originally Posted by lynnfrwd View Post
    Don't know how many of you caught it in the newsletter but machine prices are going up around Christmas / new year time frame. Don't know how much.

Guess I missed that, but re looking at it again it does indicated that... hmmm
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Buy CarveWright

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Looks like #4 is answered - thanks badbert.

#1: Thanks for the reply fwharris! Can you explain exactly what that A907 change improves? I don't quite speak shop that well here.
    #2: Since the frame/electric was upgraded from A/B to C, would it be safe to assume an A/B could never quite work as well as a C? I know the CT spindle is the big upgrade and you can change that. Also price to upgrade to CT chuck or the A907 board?
    #3: I guess I should clarify. Say you have a simple *.jpg file you want carved on a board. How much work and what software is needed to achieve that. I'm just feeling out how much you depend on others patterns bc it's potentially too involved to do your own.

Bummer on the new price increase, I'm on the fence between new/used. Really at this point the biggest holdback for me buying is the software pricing structure with no ability to transfer licenses.

The A907 is just changing the 18 pin FSC Cable to a 14 pin Cable with Thicker Wires. A 14 pin cable and the circuit board for both ends. It was mostly because they removed 3 functions from the Z Truck. A Homing Sensor replaced with just bumping up into the upper mechanical stop. A 1/8 inch audio jack to accept the Probe Data and that was changed to the Side cover 4th Axis Jack... (Ok... That got your attention... Not really designated the 4th Axis Jack... more a Axillary Jack as it has multi wires.... And last... At one time the Z Truck had a Magnetic Speed Sensor inside.... All Gone... not needed... SO that let them use a 14 pin cable for a little more Current Capability to the Z Motor... At least that is My reasoning... The 18 pin thinner wires appeared to break over time.... Causing problems...

As far as the Frame.. Never saw a B or C.... But the Z Trucks have the holes plugged from the removed sensors and a slightly heavier casting especially near the lower right Roller Rail Bearing that was known to crack. A black washer fixed the wedge problem of the countersunk screw forcing the casting to crack.

Making a pattern from a.jpg file is an ART.... LHR has some new add on Pattern Software that will help... A look through the pattern depot will show you the many cheap patterns you can buy. Because of the License Software, most new patterns have a License that will let it carve only on YOUR machine. It will show up in RED until you download the License. Patterns created without the License will work. Watch out for eBay and the Pattern Disks... Most are Stolen from HERE and sold for a proffit... Look here first....

Everything will go up.... And I see you understand the Software License...

Good Luck,

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Thanks Al! That is great info.

Just trying to see what sort of price would make an A/B okay for me...
    1) Any idea what the parts for the carvetight upgrade would run?
    2) Any idea what the A907 upgrade would run? (2 boards+cable)

Re: software, the "art" was a big concern for me. I understand you're looking to take a 2d jpg and make a 3d carving, therefore adding data to that file of course. I was just curious what software that action would require and how automated/easy it is. I guess the question is if the software somehow speeds the jpg to carve process or if you're manipulating every single pixel to get there?

Pricing for both are on the store.

It depends on the jpg and what u are carving into. Making lithos or taking 2 or 3 color logos into carvable pattern are easiest. Taking a complex photo and making it near 3d is much more difficult. See tutorial for 3d pattern modeling software. It also uses the 2d vector drawing suite. All at www.carvewright.com

CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

CarveTight upgrade $159.99 http://store.carvewright.com/product...=20563&cat=255 There is a rebate for returning the old Z truck..

A907 upgrade not sure on this one. Guessing around $100 but not really sure. Thought it was in the store but not able to find it. On a used machine you can verify if it already has it by seeing where the wire harness from the keyboard side cover switch plugs in to the circuit board. If on top it is the upgrade. If on bottom the old style.

As for the image to carve software most use a regular photo editing software and/or a few others like shadermap to convert/edit the image before taking it into designer.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Buy CarveWright

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast