Thread: Use CW for inlays?

Default Use CW for inlays?

I'm wondering if it's possible (i'm sure it is) to use the CW to make inlays... meaning carving both the depressing and the inlay, and make them fit exactly. What is the technique for doing this if anyone knows? Sure it has to do with the inset of the bit and all. Thanks!

I do it all the time however i think some changes in the software could make this null to do without fracturing the parts and blowout, I need to test my old MPC to make sure.

here is how it done:

Last edited by liquidguitars; 11-24-2012 at 07:30 PM.

Here is what Designer looks like:

i include the sled in the MPC to remove the guess work. the inlay part is cut upside down using the 1/16" carving bit to make a natural wege for a snap fit like in the old days with a sander.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HeadstockJig.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	79.4 KB 
ID:	57228
    Last edited by liquidguitars; 11-24-2012 at 07:45 PM.

Kewl thanks... is that you playing guitar on the video? I play guitar, have always wanted to build one of my own but never tried. Always wanted one with an extra wide finger board for my extra wide fingers lol. Nice work

I play but not on this video... " not that good " heh he.

What do you do to get the CW to carve that way, following the line and not going back and forth?
    I am just getting back into carving after two yr and can't for the life of me remember how that was done for the inlay.

Wilbur

Quote Originally Posted by Wilbur View Post
    What do you do to get the CW to carve that way, following the line and not going back and forth?
    I am just getting back into carving after two yr and can't for the life of me remember how that was done for the inlay.

Wilbur
    Wilbur,

You inlay might be getter set up with using vector lines to carve out your area and not using a carve region. See attached example. I used the 1/8" cutting bit and for the outer line I put the inset as 1/16" so the bit will cut inside the line..
    Attached Files Attached Files
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Thanks for the tip. I will give it a try.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cedarchest3.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	85.7 KB 
ID:	57552

Wilbur,

Your welcome. You can use different bit selections other than the 1/8" bit if you have them. Just need to make the correct insert when applying the bit selection. And to ge on the safe side I would to a test pocket cut on another board just to insure you have things set up right...
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.