Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What I see in Designer, is Not what I Get...

When you do the math then, then areas defining the eyes are about 1/32" to 1/64" thick on a 2" graphic. The bit is moving laterally at a speed of 1 foot per second. It isn't possible if you try to use the graphic as it is (as far as I can tell). I am currently expanding or deleting the thinner sections, we'll see how that turns out.

See if the one on the right will work for you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bear_logos_2_102.jpg  

Thanks for doing some work on the graphic. Unfortunately I won't be able to test it until my machine is returned from service in about a week and a half.

I will give it a try though!

Thanks again!

well you must live down the street if you think you will have it back in a week and a half cause they have had mine in their shop for 7 business days so far let alone shipping time.

anyway I went out yesterday to look for a good source of wood and I talked to this one guy and he told me that pine was air dried and looking like the newfie I am. I asked what is air dried well he says it is dried by the air!!

the point to this embarrassing story is this he also said that oak is kiln dried and when people try to use it to carve they get alot of breakout due to the brittleness of it being drid so fast there is no moisture left in it. so as soon as you take on piece out of it you get more than you want.

hope this helps if you are looking for hard wood try to get some that is either air dried not too much around here or get some before it is sent to be kiln dried and let it dry yourself.

good luck
    I know there is no point in reinventing the wheel, but reinventing myself is a worthy goal to be sure.

Tim

menewfy - Thanks for the information on the wood! Here I thought Oak was going to be my best choice... Looks like I will have to do a little research. Most of the lumbar yards around me are just Menards and Home Depot's. I might have to see if I can find a saw mill that is not too far of a drive...

Thanks for crashing my dreams of a speedy turnaround on my machine. I had only used it for 4 hours when it broke down. After 2 hours on the phone with support and regluing the Z axis ribbon cable, checking all the sensors, etc. It was still reporting a Z axis stall error. I was quite disappointed and on the verge of returning the machine. I have quite high hopes that once I get it back, I can get some good use out of it.... You can always hope...

Man, I miss Menards. All I have in Home Improvement Stores is Home Depot and Lowe's, which is just Home Depots more expensive brother.

Anyway, I will try the pattern later on pine in both 2" and 4" to see how it does.

Menewfy, drying your own lumber is always a good thing, it lets you control your materials. But be aware that it takes 3-6 months to dry a hardwood, depending on temperatures and humidity. So its something you have to be constantly doing, and you need a supply of fresh cut logs. If you have the right situation for it there is nothing better.

Pruitts, may I suggest either contacting Land O Lakes Lumber (847) 546-2142 and asking where the nearest hardwood store/supplier is; or take the 20 mile trip to Woodcraft at 1280 East Dundee Road in Palatine. I have to go almost 40 miles myself to get a piece of good hardwood (except oak, which is only 25 miles away).

Handturnmaple - Thanks so much for the suggestions for location. Once I get to a store, what exactly should I look for? All I have typically ever worked with is Pine, Oak, Walnut, Maple and Aspen...

Quote Originally Posted by pruitts
    menewfy - Thanks for the information on the wood! Here I thought Oak was going to be my best choice... Looks like I will have to do a little research. Most of the lumbar yards around me are just Menards and Home Depot's. I might have to see if I can find a saw mill that is not too far of a drive...

Thanks for crashing my dreams of a speedy turnaround on my machine. I had only used it for 4 hours when it broke down. After 2 hours on the phone with support and regluing the Z axis ribbon cable, checking all the sensors, etc. It was still reporting a Z axis stall error. I was quite disappointed and on the verge of returning the machine. I have quite high hopes that once I get it back, I can get some good use out of it.... You can always hope...

well i am the same way i just want to make something i want to get busy and I cant. anyway sorry to put a damper on your day.
    I know there is no point in reinventing the wheel, but reinventing myself is a worthy goal to be sure.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by HandTurnedMaple
    Man, I miss Menards. All I have in Home Improvement Stores is Home Depot and Lowe's, which is just Home Depots more expensive brother.

Anyway, I will try the pattern later on pine in both 2" and 4" to see how it does.

Menewfy, drying your own lumber is always a good thing, it lets you control your materials. But be aware that it takes 3-6 months to dry a hardwood, depending on temperatures and humidity. So its something you have to be constantly doing, and you need a supply of fresh cut logs. If you have the right situation for it there is nothing better.
    i understand it would take a while but apparently if you seperate the wood with sticks and use a fan it will dry twice as quick.

Tim

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast