Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: CLEAR BOARD SENSOR message- I know you'll say "get a new one" but not an option

Turkey Done... Dishes Done.... Time to play on the computer....

Yes, sounds like you have a plan. but that 35 is the source of the problems.... It needs to be higher.... The LED's are IR like the TV Remote control. Some in the past have used a lamp above the machine shining into the clear cover while it is measuring... Might be a Temp fix.... Or Shine a LED Flashlight inside....

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Quote Originally Posted by Digitalwoodshop View Post
    Turkey Done... Dishes Done.... Time to play on the computer....

Yes, sounds like you have a plan. but that 35 is the source of the problems.... It needs to be higher.... The LED's are IR like the TV Remote control. Some in the past have used a lamp above the machine shining into the clear cover while it is measuring... Might be a Temp fix.... Or Shine a LED Flashlight inside....

AL
    I thought about external light sources but it seems to me the only way to make it work and have the light stay out of the way of the cutting head is to mount it on the truck itself. I even have one of those flexi-goose-necky-LED-book-light-thingies (too technical?) to use, I can hit STOP and remove it once running, then resume. Never tried it, tho, I can usually (eventually) fool the frackin' thing into working. I did have one thought- I don't think there's a way to calibrate the sensor's light sensitivity....or am I wrong?
    This is particularly troublesome to me because it's the only thing I haven't been either able to fix, modify or work around. It just works when it wants to.
    I'll see what's up with the cabling scenario then get back to you with the results- unless it decides to run LOL!
    Thanks for all your help.

Not sure if this would even work BUT place a mirror on your board and crank the head down. Do the board sensor check option in the dark. Would you be able to see the reflection of the lights to see if both are working?

The lights are installed at an angle so that the light beams meet at a point on the board surface to get the best reading.

In case you have not looked.... http://store.carvewright.com/product...cat=254&page=1
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

I had a somewhat similar problem with 2 different machines, an A and a B machine. Drove me and the guys crazy for awhile. Turned out they were in such a position in the shop that they were not getting enough ambient light. Moved them both to a new location and never had the problems again. As an example when we turned off the external lighting, the machines sensors read low, but did read...... Just a thought..... Of course it could have been the machines liked the new scenery inside the shop and a different power source. I have found working with machines, over the years, it is as if they have a mind of their own.....
    Custom Built Quilt Hangers and Quilt Racks.

Quote Originally Posted by fwharris View Post
    Not sure if this would even work BUT place a mirror on your board and crank the head down. Do the board sensor check option in the dark. Would you be able to see the reflection of the lights to see if both are working?

The lights are installed at an angle so that the light beams meet at a point on the board surface to get the best reading.

In case you have not looked.... http://store.carvewright.com/product...cat=254&page=1
    That's a neat idea, Floyd- definitely gonna try it! I'l let ya know what happens here and I'll shoot ya a hello on FB. Thanks!
    Al mentioned the lamps are in IR wavelength, so likely won't be seen by eye- but who's to say they're putting out what they should? No wavelength measurement capability here.
    I'm also going to follow up on Gwizpro's (gee whiz pro?) idea, but expand it to include natural, fluorescent, incandescent, blacklight near-UV, and VIS-spectrum LED sources to see what/which/if any seem more effective. I'll run this experiment in Sensor Check mode to collect actual raw data via digital readout- empirical data collection to determine lambda-max wavelength for my machine's optics sounds like fun! ...Not to mention useful! I'll be sure to post what I find.

P.S. Just found out there's no source of fluorescent here, so no data on that will be coming, but that's at the 'cooler' end of the spectrum from IR anyway.

By the way, Floyd, I asked earlier in the thread about if calibration of sensor accurracy/sensitivity was possible... is there any Zero/Span calibration/adjustment of the sensor that you (or anyone else?) know(s) of? Maybe a factory repair rep who's reading? I'm capable of understanding any advice or instructions given... I have 13yrs experience in laboratory technology including operation, maintenance, overhaul, troubleshooting and repair of High Performance Liquid Chromatography (HPLC) systems, Gas Chromatographs (GCs), UltraViolet-Visual Spectrum (UV-VIS) Spectrometers, Diode Array Detectors (DAD) and more. All I'd need is a schematic. .........Anybody?............? I'm not about to take a chance on 'coastering' my circuit board(s) fumbling around without any guide to follow. Been there/done that before! NOT FUN.
    Last edited by eastcutty; 11-22-2012 at 11:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gwizpro View Post
    i had a somewhat similar problem with 2 different machines, an a and a b machine. Drove me and the guys crazy for awhile. Turned out they were in such a position in the shop that they were not getting enough ambient light. Moved them both to a new location and never had the problems again. As an example when we turned off the external lighting, the machines sensors read low, but did read...... Just a thought..... Of course it could have been the machines liked the new scenery inside the shop and a different power source. I have found working with machines, over the years, it is as if they have a mind of their own.....
    yes they do !!!!!

By the way, Floyd, I asked earlier in the thread about if calibration of sensor accurracy/sensitivity was possible... is there any Zero/Span calibration/adjustment of the sensor

Not that I am aware of....
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

8. Default

If you have a sony movie or digital camera with "nightshot" you should be able to see the ir light just like a beam from a flashlight. You may have to cover the ir iluminator on the camera so it doesn't overpower the glow from the carvewright illuminators.

That is a good point.... Even a Digital Still Camera could see the IR if you put a mirror or even the bottom of a CD down on the board...

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Quote Originally Posted by TerryT View Post
    If you have a sony movie or digital camera with "nightshot" you should be able to see the ir light just like a beam from a flashlight. You may have to cover the ir iluminator on the camera so it doesn't overpower the glow from the carvewright illuminators.
    Wow, hadn't thought of that!

Following up: I tried the test I described earlier and even with incandescent (closest to IR I have) shining right up into it, saw no increase in reading of 32-33, so no data to share.
    Trying to pursue the cabling inspection/test idea... Seems I can remove the lower guide rollers and lift the truck right off the track...HOLY COW those lower Y-axis roller screws are TIGHT! I lowered the rear/left compression roller to gain access to the rear of the roller bearing shaft to keep it from turning, but the flathead driver slot is SO shallow it's hard to keep the driver tip in. Note the driver end is straight, sharp and correct size.
    I should be farther along than this today, but leftover-induced napping took over today's itinerary temporarily. You know how that goes.
    LATER: TerryT- YOU DA MAN! My phone has a 'night' setting so I used it to try. The video showed faint bluish 'cat eye'-looking light, but could't tell if it was reflection or not, so I placed white paper underneath and tried again- and saw the lights and illuminated paper. SOooooo... both lights are ON, but if 'correct' I can't say.
    I'm gonna try this: increase the internal diameter of the light pipe to more effectively harvest reflected light. I am, after all, sensing SOMEthing, even if less than I should. Maybe vibration didn't affect emitters, but jostled the collector somewhat.
    I did forget to report in earlier posts that the 'pass your hand under sensor' test failed to produce any reading fluctuation from ZERO, for what it's worth.
    I'll let ya know what happens.
    Last edited by eastcutty; 11-23-2012 at 03:56 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast