Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: CLEAR BOARD SENSOR message- I know you'll say "get a new one" but not an option

Floyd mentioned:
    "The lights are installed at an angle so that the light beams meet at a point on the board surface to get the best reading."

Maybe the intersected beam-to-board distance isn't right? Should there be any gasket/spacer between the sensor mount and the truck?
    This wouldn't answer the 'hand-pass-failure' issue, and the reading stops climbing after a certain crank-down point.....but still......?

No special camera needed - digital cameras and phones with cameras see IR.

OK....Happy to update! I pulled the board sensor YET AGAIN and re-inspected it- no dust per se that I could see, none that I could blow out, but I still dusted the lamps and sensor with my softest paintbrush and realized the sensor looked less 'smoky'. What I never did notice, however, was that the sensor itself wasn't quite level in its slot- so I'm guessing the incoming light up the pipe was reflecting off of the angled surface rather than straight in thru the end. I just so happened to catch the light reflecting off it and sorta sensed rather than saw at first that it was just a hair off. All it took was a tweak with a fingernail to straighten it out. While I was at it, I thought about what might improve the lightpath so I 'polished' the groove to a shine with a toothpick and increased the aperture with a shallow taper to gather more light. (like a telescope with a bigger objective lens) Note the inlet and tube were not blocked/dirty to begin with. Sealed it all back up with tape, re-installed, seems to be doing OK now. Don't know if one or all 'tweaks' did the trick, but the collective effect is dramatic.

I knew you could do it! You seem resourceful!
    "Carved with Love"

Happiness comes from within.
    But joy comes from helping others.

Measure twice... and then sneak up on it!

Good Job !!!!
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Spoke too soon- seemed to cooperate better at first, so I said "Yay!", but it's really just doing as best as it's ever done...NOT what it should.
    Also, the Manual says "It is recommended that this sensor and mirror be cleaned after every project". Mirror? What mirror? Have I been missing something, a portion of the sensor, all along? Note that this is original RevA parts as I rec'd them from Sears.

I am now having this issue. I am going to cut the clear cover the covers the LED. Any thoughts?
    Experience is a doorway -- Not a final goal.

I had a problem with the sensor yesterday when it tried to measure the board, it actually spit the board out the back of the machine! Cleaned everything up and all that, still gave me fits. Figured maybe it was the walnut board so I put a strip of blue masking tape on top, changed stay under rollers to NO and it worked fine. Oh, I forgot I stood on one leg while patting my head and whisling dixie to make it work

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by dehrlich View Post
    I had a problem with the sensor yesterday when it tried to measure the board, it actually spit the board out the back of the machine! Cleaned everything up and all that, still gave me fits. Figured maybe it was the walnut board so I put a strip of blue masking tape on top, changed stay under rollers to NO and it worked fine. Oh, I forgot I stood on one leg while patting my head and whisling dixie to make it work
    I hate to say it but the "whistling dixie" was probably the most effective part! LOL just kidding. Probably what did it was cranking the head up and down. I think you will continue to have this problem. If you had used the keypad to check sensors when it spit the board out the back of the machine I think you would have seen one or both rollers STILL showing COMPRESSED. Most likely the front one. Both ends of the roller should be cleaned, not only the switch end but the non keypad end as well. If the front roller sticks and does not RELEASE the board sensor that you are working on WONT EVEN COME ON. Thus not sensing the end of the board and the board traveling all the way out of the machine.

Just my two cents.
    Last edited by TerryT; 12-02-2012 at 01:18 PM.

If the board spits out then the roller that is on the other end of the machine that the board came out is the sticking switch. When the board is measuring and the roller is released it tells the computer that the board in 3.5 inches from the end and to turn on the board detector.... No roller released signal, the board keeps moving..... OR.... A bad FSC Cable as the BOARD SENSOR signal passes through the FSC Cable, OR a bad or dirty sensor.

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast