Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: struggling with the program!

Optimize your bit setting to Best on all the patterns, and then carve on best or optimal. You will increase the quality of your carve

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-11-18_15-44-32_756.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	1.29 MB 
ID:	57089 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-11-18_15-44-32_756.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	1.29 MB 
ID:	57089

Here is how it actually turned out... As you can see the fillets are paper thin and really brittle. The Radius on the top has gouges from where the machine was carving it. Is the gouging normal on a radius like this?

Quote Originally Posted by AskBud View Post
    If you update your profile, similar to each of our righe hand corners (of each post) folks would have a rough idea as to where you are.
    There is also, an entire forum section for which to add your name to a given state list.
    http://forum.carvewright.com/forumdi...arver-Near-You
    AskBud
    I'll do that. Its been a long time since i have bought this machine. It had been so long they lost my profile and had to start a new one from all the changes to carvewright's website.

Quote Originally Posted by chief2007 View Post
    Optimize your bit setting to Best on all the patterns, and then carve on best or optimal. You will increase the quality of your carve
    With this carve the bit optimization was set on best. I just posted pics of how it actually carved it....
    Look at the fillets and top of the inside radius. The outside cut was fine but it gouged the inside radius.

Default Revisions

Quote Originally Posted by cfox View Post
    I'm new at this and I'm struggling with learning the program.

I have designed a few signs and plaques and signs and the look just the way I want them on the computer. Then when I carve them I just am not getting the quality carve I'm looking for. For example one piece will be really good then where I add a fillet to it it barely carves it and its so thin its extremely brittle!

Is there a better way than junking a ton of lumber trying and adjusting?
    I'm starting to get frustrated! The machine works great with the pre loaded patterns so its not the machine! Its something I'm doing wrong!

Thanks
    Chad
    I did lots of revisions!
    Applied a small draft to the vines, text was floating at .125 9Changed the depth to .250 and lowered the height to 50, removed the line carve area and just replaced it with an arc carve area like the cut-out arc was done.
    Loading the MPC to the memory card using Optimal will take 3:43 will take longer, however you should see a big difference!
    AskBud
    Live Laugh Love revisions.mpc
    AskBud Downloads =>> CLICK HERE
    Lesson added
    7/15/2012 Titles begin with "2D-3D Build a Pattern-Part-3"

CW Vacuum Head Project =>> CLICK HERE
    AskBud Home Page =>> CLICK HERE <<=PC lessons or CW lessons

More than 1250 AskBud patterns
    vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv
    http://store.carvewright.com/manufac...ufacturerid=29

Looking at your MPC you did not have any bit optimization on your filigrees, vines or grapes. Also try putting "feather" on your radius carve region.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Hi cfox,

Like Bud, I did a lot of revisions and am including the file here (and a screenshot as you see below). I looked at Bud's revised version just a minute ago. It is certainly an improvement, but I actually think my version will carve better (nuttin' against Bud, of course...just two different approaches and preferences). You can always carve both and see which you like best.

Changes made were...

Bit Optimization : BEST on the patterns but NOT on the lettering
    Numerous Depth/Height changes
    Draft Settings applied where appropriate
    Inside Feather applied to Carve Region to reduce/eliminate gouges from tapered carving bit on verticals
    Removed the Dome shape from the Carve Region, as it added nothing to the design either in appearance or function for this layout
    Increased Board size to allow for "safety" margin at the top and bottom of the board whilst carving

TIPS: On this version your board you put into the machine needs to be at least .75" x 9" x 21" (basically just a standard 1x10 board that is 21" long). This will assure a "perfect" result with no problems. When you upload this version to your memory card, IGNORE the Auto Jig warning pop-up (click IGNORE when you see it), and select either BEST or OPTIMAL for the carving quality setting. OPTIMAL will give you a really superb result, but it takes significantly longer to carve than the BEST setting.

At your machine, go through the setup, and along the way select Keep Original Size and Center for the job positioning when you see those prompts (you will also be asked whether to Stay Under Rollers...as long as you followed my instruction for the board size/length you can respond with either YES or NO, as in this case the choice makes no difference...NOTE: the board WILL stay under the rollers, regardless of the response for this layout. Again, this will assure a "perfect" result for this particular project.

I think that's it. Good luck and have fun this time!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails modified_LiveLoveLaugh_screenshot.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by mtylerfl; 11-18-2012 at 04:25 PM.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

The only other thing I will offer is that you will get some "fuzzies" like you did when carving a soft wood like pine. Hard woods like ash, hickory, or hard maple will give different results. I do carve pine a lot and do spend time cleaning up the fuzzies after the machine is done.

I learned many of the things that Michael and the others offered - use of Bit Optimization on thin items like the grape vines, use of feather and draft, use of height - the hard way. I think you will find that your capability to produce quality work will quickly improve as you learn. I would strongly advise that you read and understand the various Tips articles. That can save a lot of scrap.

Quote Originally Posted by AskBud View Post
    I did lots of revisions!
    Applied a small draft to the vines, text was floating at .125 9Changed the depth to .250 and lowered the height to 50, removed the line carve area and just replaced it with an arc carve area like the cut-out arc was done.
    Loading the MPC to the memory card using Optimal will take 3:43 will take longer, however you should see a big difference!
    AskBud
    Live Laugh Love revisions.mpc
    Now where in the program did you find the arch carve feature?

Quote Originally Posted by DickB View Post
    The only other thing I will offer is that you will get some "fuzzies" like you did when carving a soft wood like pine. Hard woods like ash, hickory, or hard maple will give different results. I do carve pine a lot and do spend time cleaning up the fuzzies after the machine is done.

I learned many of the things that Michael and the others offered - use of Bit Optimization on thin items like the grape vines, use of feather and draft, use of height - the hard way. I think you will find that your capability to produce quality work will quickly improve as you learn. I would strongly advise that you read and understand the various Tips articles. That can save a lot of scrap.

I have watched a few and when i try to do something on my own with what i just learned it DOES not come out with the same results... Even using the same dimentions and cut depth's!! Ill Just keep hammering at it. Thanks for the help... This is a big difference for autocad and Viacad that i use for other projects...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast