Thread: Problem with belts on sander??

Default Problem with belts on sander??

Not a carver problem but maybe somebody has already figured this one out. Haven't used my belt sander for a while, haven't been doing a lot of large projects lately. Anyway, went to do some smoothing of a large panel made of multiple boards and within a minute or so my belt snapped. Figured no biggy and grabbed a new one from stock and proceeded. This one also snapped after about a minute, this time I thought maybe I wasn't paying attention and caused the problem somehow running it on the edge. Again , new belt and away we go only to have it snap after about 30 sec.
    This time I finally had the light come on and knew I probably wasn't the problem. All the belts basically separated at the splice. Obviously the glue used with the backer to join the two halves is failing, my guess is the heat. I know most of my belts have been sitting in the cabinet for a while, when I resupply I search for a good price on what I know are quality belts and buy a box of 10 usually. Now I find I may have a lot of belts or different grits that seem to be worthless.
    Does anyone have any experience regarding the gluing of the belts??? I hope there is a way I can at least overlay the joints on the ones currently still joined together and save them. I've thought about using the iron on glue sheets for veneer with fiberglass package tape but would appreciate opinions and experiences from the experiences of the members.
    Thx in advance,

Rick H

My first guess is that that batch of belts has picked up moisture and have gone bat at the glue joints. The will happen if they chenge moisture and temp a lot.
    AskBud
    AskBud Downloads =>> CLICK HERE
    Lesson added
    7/15/2012 Titles begin with "2D-3D Build a Pattern-Part-3"

CW Vacuum Head Project =>> CLICK HERE
    AskBud Home Page =>> CLICK HERE <<=PC lessons or CW lessons

More than 1250 AskBud patterns
    vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv
    http://store.carvewright.com/manufac...ufacturerid=29

Wood magazine just had a short article on this. Use cloth bias from a fabric store, super glue it to the back of the belt starting with just one end, sandwich it between waxed paper and a 2x4 weight until the glue cures.

Look at the arrow printed on the inside of the belt. The belt should move in that direction. It has to do with the way the ends are glued together.
    Clint
    CarveWright StartU team member
    Web Site WWW.clintscustomcarving.com

I agree with Clint that if the belt has been put on backwards it will break within seconds. I did that on my 11 inch drum sander and broke the belt and also ruined the rubber drive roller. Check the arrows on the inside of the belt

Stab