Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Worn adapter, carving bits and piercing problem.

Default Worn adapter, carving bits and piercing problem.

Ok I'm starting to realize that these machines are money pits already. First question, machine started making noise and carving bad, stopped and removed bit, adapter was a lot more worn than it was just the other day when I checked it. Does that mean the chuck is bad? Tried to change the adapter so I could finish and dropped bit on floor resulting in the tip broken off. Best (cheapest) place to get 1/16" carving bits? How do I find how many hours this machine has? It was supposed to be hardly used but seems I shouldn't be having problems with the chuck/adapter already if it's barely used. (It's an A machine by the way). Last question, When you put that you want the pattern "pierced", doesn't that mean that it cuts all the way through, so like when it's done the pattern is loose from the board? I even planed the board a touch under 1/2" so it would cut through, but it only went through in a few small places. Am attaching my pattern file. Thanks for any help. What did I get myself in to?!Attachment 57069

Press the Options key on the keyboard and you can scroll through the Hour Meters....

YES, a Worn QC is a BIG Problem.... You will need to replace the QC and ALL Bit Holders to get out of the cycle... as if you replace a bad bit holder with new and don't change the bad QC in as little as one project you could be back to a bad bit holder...

A CHANGE to a ROCK chuck or a LHR CarveTite is the BEST option... ANY money you spend for QC or Bit Holders is wasted money in MY opinion.

Attitude.... A Positive Attitude when posting here is important.... WE are here to HELP.... A "A" Version with LOW Hours.... You may have been "Taken".... I have 4 "A" model 2007 machines and they work JUST FINE.... YOU need to be EDUCATED on the machine starting with reading THIS FORUM and finding Tips and Tricks... This machine is nothing like a Table Saw where you plug it in and Suddenly your a Carpanter... YOU need to LEARN about the machine and the PROPER way to use it... THAT is why we wrote Tips and Tricks....

If you come in and "KICK the DOG" because your frustrated then you will get a cold reception... And this is BECAUSE WE know a "Educated" User is a HAPPY USER.... We call it PILOT ERROR... When you do something and it comes out WRONG and you want to call it a money pit or kick the dog.... The QC has been replaced by the CarveTite or the ROCK Chuck made by Rjustice and was the first replacement for the Problem QC. SO if you decide to continue using the QC know that you will spend money that could have been put toward the ROCK or CarveTite....

With 10 posts this month I would normally go back and review each one and offer advice.... But I think you get the message.. WE are hear to HELP.....

Never messed with Pierced Carvings... So don't know...

Good Luck,

AL

With your "A" version you will need to know if you have the old 18 pin FSC Cable or the newer 14 pin.... 14 is better... But don't plug a 14 pin cable into a 18 pin socket or you will short out the computer...
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Don't get me wrong, didn't mean to "kick the dog" as you put it. I have read quite a bit on the forum and it just seems like there is always something that has to be fixed or replaced, but I suppose that is to be expected on a machine like this. I used to work in a machine shop running a big multi-million dollar 4 axis CNC machine and it seemed to be broken more than it ran. I still have a good attitude, I know it's not going to be perfect the first time. I been woodworking for 25 years and still make mistakes.

Anyway, this upgrading the chuck thing, something a newbie can do? I have reasonable mechanical ability. I don't have but 2 bits, so changing to a different system at this point wouldn't put me out I suppose LOL. And like I said, I Genuinely appreciate ALL the help on this forum. If it weren't for everyone here I would still be trying to figure out how to make a pattern work. Please don't confuse frustration with negativity. Thanks!

And after some fooling around I found the usage odometer, total power on time: 14 hrs 27 mins.

Yes the upgrade is a do it yourself job. Remove the old Z truck and install the new one with the CarveTight chuck already installed. You will have to change your 1/16" carving and 1/8" cutting bits for the ones with the pressed on sleeve.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

In addition to losing the QC, get or make yourself a top-mount dust collector. There are a couple threads with alternatives. This will greatly enhance the reliability of your machine. The larger chips are not so much of an issue in my opinion, the fine dust will find its way into and foul the board sensor, servo optics, gears, and bearings. It is definitely possible to put on tens and hundreds of hours on the machine without a breakdown or malfunction - many of us are doing it.

Thank you Dick, I have been considering that very thing. Thinking about it, isn't it unusual that a machine with less than 15 hours would already have a bad chuck? I know there is a lot of vibration there but dang! Probably going to have to just get a new quick chuck, I can't afford the upgrade just now. Just make sure I do a better job of lubricating it and so on. In hind sight, wish I had done some research and known there was a layaway plan here, I may have just done that and got a new C machine. I paid $600 for this A machine, could have paid half the new one for that. In any case, this is a good one to learn on I guess.

15 hours... on a 5 year old chuck. Your chuck has lots of moving parts, inside. they need to be cleaned and lubed. Chances are rust and dust are packed inside there.
    "Carved with Love"

Happiness comes from within.
    But joy comes from helping others.

Measure twice... and then sneak up on it!

Quote Originally Posted by dehrlich View Post
    Thank you Dick, I have been considering that very thing. Thinking about it, isn't it unusual that a machine with less than 15 hours would already have a bad chuck? I know there is a lot of vibration there but dang! Probably going to have to just get a new quick chuck, I can't afford the upgrade just now. Just make sure I do a better job of lubricating it and so on. In hind sight, wish I had done some research and known there was a layaway plan here, I may have just done that and got a new C machine. I paid $600 for this A machine, could have paid half the new one for that. In any case, this is a good one to learn on I guess.
    Not all that unusual with the QC if it is not taken care of after each carve and during bit changes. It should only be lightly lubed (small amount of 3-1 oil on a rag) on the inside of the chuck and not in between the outer sleeve. The trick is to get the dust out from in between the outer sleeve. Lift up the sleeve and let it snap back down several times to break the dust loose. With an inspection mirror you can get a better look at the chuck to see how well you are cleaning it. Also use the mirror to insure the two red lines are matching up when installing the bits.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Ok so here is another dumb question... I just found a new QC chuck and some bits on Ebay so covered there. Looked at the instructions to change them here on the site. Where do I get the square tool that goes up inside the chuck to get it loose? Not listed in the store and it didn't come with my machine.. is it special or something I can buy at auto parts?

And that would be the problem, wasn't aware of needing to clean and lube it each time so my fault, although I did lube the bit adapter once.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast