Thread: Trouble with 60 degree V-bit after upgrade to CarveTight.

Default Trouble with 60 degree V-bit after upgrade to CarveTight.

Hello...

I'm having problems with my 60 degree v-bit since I installed the Newfamgled CarveTight upgrade. I purchased the 1/4 to 1/2 bushing and stop collars. When I go to carve centerline text and install the bit the maching acts as if it expects a very long-sharfted bit. It comes back with "refind" or "continue" options, neither of which work. I HAVE gotten the v-bit to work a few times by turning the machine off and back on (playing with Edge Route ... different problem) but not often.

What am I doing wrong? Thanks for help...

Pete

How far are you inserting the V bit into the split sleeve? Have you tried setting it at different lengths? Does the bit make full contact with the bit plate?
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Quote Originally Posted by Northwoods Woodcrafter View Post
    Hello...

I'm having problems with my 60 degree v-bit since I installed the Newfamgled CarveTight upgrade. I purchased the 1/4 to 1/2 bushing and stop collars. When I go to carve centerline text and install the bit the maching acts as if it expects a very long-sharfted bit. It comes back with "refind" or "continue" options, neither of which work. I HAVE gotten the v-bit to work a few times by turning the machine off and back on (playing with Edge Route ... different problem) but not often.

Pete
    Hi Pete,

Usually an error message Refind or Continue means that the bit length recorded during initial setup of the project vs when you are in the midst of a bit change during the actual running of the project. Is the refind/continue choice coming up WHILE running the project after the bit change to the v-bit? If so, I really don't know why "continue" is not working for you. A small mismatch of the bit length between setup and running is typically not a project stopper (you should be able to continue).

The only other thing that comes to mind is that the bit "flapper" is not extending out enough to get a reading from the bit, OR the y-truck is not able to go far enough to the right to target the bit "flapper" properly (check to make sure the y-truck can move fully to the right...no obstructions, etc.). You could also try re-tensioning the y-belt by simply loosening the screw enough to allow the y-belt spring to move the slotted metal plate, then re-tighten the screw (the y-tension is automatically adjusted in the fashion). You'll need a "stubby" #2 phillips screwdriver to do this - also, be careful to fully seat the driver...it's easy to strip the screwhead if careless.

Let us know any other details and/or if you licked the problem.

Oh...one more thing...I am of the opinion that the Edge Route feature should never be used, since it allows the workpiece to leave the captivity of the pressure rollers (invites trouble...spoiled project, broken bit, or both). If you need to route around the perimeter of a board, a hand router or router table is better suited for that.
    Last edited by mtylerfl; 11-17-2012 at 11:41 AM.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

M is right hitting continue should do the trick try to lower the bit in the chuck... For my projects I keep the carving bit in as the machine asks for other bits and change them when the machine does the carving.

Pete, simple fix to try, lowes carries nylon washer .25 thick with .257 inside diameter. I use this with the split collet. I now get consistent bit measurements each and every time. The nylon washer has not deformed at all due to heat as the plastic stops collars do.

You get 2 for about .95 cents plus tax

Just not for use on the 1/4 round nose bit.

Hello...

Thanks for all of your responses. I'll try to answer some of the questions you have because I haven't resolved this...

"How far are you inserting the V bit into the split sleeve? Have you tried setting it at different lengths? Does the bit make full contact with the bit plate?"... I'm using a stop collar on the 1/4" shaft and inserting the bit into the sleeve up to the collar. I haven't tried not pushing it all the way in.

"Is the refind/continue choice coming up WHILE running the project after the bit change to the v-bit?"... The project I'm trying to run is a centerline text project with no other bit. There's no initial setup and then switch to the v-bit.

There are no issues with the flapper... I keep it clean and lubricated... the bit doesn't come close to hitting it... maybe even an inch above when it should be going down a lot further. It's odd, but sometimes after hitting refind or continue, it will come all the way down to the flapper but then end with another refind/continue message.

I'll keep trying some stuff on my end... but this seems very peculiar. It's as if it's expecting a shaft the length on a carving bit.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Northwoods Woodcrafter View Post
    Hello...

Pete
    Where does the bit touch as it prepares to carve? Does it touch on the very top of the board, as it does it'e checking, is there a lower surface where the bit is doing part of the 2nd series of verifications?
    AskBud
    AskBud Downloads =>> CLICK HERE
    Lesson added
    7/15/2012 Titles begin with "2D-3D Build a Pattern-Part-3"

CW Vacuum Head Project =>> CLICK HERE
    AskBud Home Page =>> CLICK HERE <<=PC lessons or CW lessons

More than 1250 AskBud patterns
    vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv
    http://store.carvewright.com/manufac...ufacturerid=29

"How far are you inserting the V bit into the split sleeve? Have you tried setting it at different lengths? Does the bit make full contact with the bit plate?"... I'm using a stop collar on the 1/4" shaft and inserting the bit into the sleeve up to the collar. I haven't tried not pushing it all the way in.

I put my stop collar all the way down on to the shoulder of the bit and the sleeve goes down to the stop collar.

If the Z truck is not going down all of the way so that the bit touches the bit plate take a look at our Z rails and bearings for any dust build up. Give them a good leaning and re lube.... Also look to see if the flex shaft is rubbing/touching the slot in the cover. The machine is seeing enough resistance in the movement and thinking the truck is going down all of the way and touching the bit plate.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

A few thoughts....

Bit Length or "Expected" bit Length is Defined by Designer and I believe that LHR has tightened up the Window or the "Range" of Bit Lengths that the machine expects to see for a given bit.... This is because "I Believe" the machine is Tuned or Optimized for a Range of Bit Lengths that Optimize the CARVETITE bits with the PRESSED on sleeve. This leaves Variances in LENGTH like in your case..... Being TOO SHORT causes problems.... This is more of a problem with the ROCK Chucks... Where WE have Full Control over the Length.... What I have found is the 1/8th inch bit can be installed TOO SHORT and give this same error.... Adjusting the metal Locking collar to a length that makes the machine "HAPPY" solves the problem.... WE as users just need to understand that WE must match the CT Bit Length or close to it for the machine to be happy.... The Optimizing of the Bit Length is actually a GOOD THING as it can actually prevent a problem with dirty rails or sawdust in the belt.... Speed Bumps that could cause a false Bit Touch where the bit reverses directions before actually touching the bit plate.

And always watch the BIT PLATE Touch..... You can tell the Health of the machine by watching this bit touch..... Many times Machine Problems are caused by the bit not actually touching the Bit Plate and reversing due to a dirty rail, frozen Bearing, or dust in the Belt...

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

10. Default

I think Floyd hit this time. Roller bearings on the Z. Dragging or seized. Assuming, that is, that the stop collar etc, is being properly applied. Also check the Z drive belt. Make sure that no saw dust or chips are jamming between the belt and the gears. And as everyone else has already stated... clean and lube the rails.
    Last edited by TerryT; 11-18-2012 at 06:59 PM.