Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Homing Problem Y axis

Default Homing Problem Y axis

I need some help. My machine Moves all the way to the key board side. It make a graling sound, and finally gives me the "Homing Problem Y Axis".

I talked to LHR on Wednesday and we tried to touble shoot. They suggested it could be I of three things. Cut Motor, Power supply, X termination board. I replaced all three with new parts from LHR. It still does the same thing. I also replaced Head Termination Electronics Board, and the FFC cable all new. I replaced the Y motor from another working machine. It still does the same thing. Any suggestion would be appreicated.

Thanks
    Leo Davenport
    Enjoy Life Carve Something everyday

Leo,

WAG, you said it made a "graling" sound, did you check the Y gear box bearings?
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Does replacing the y motor mean you replaced the gearbox as well?
    "Carved with Love"

Happiness comes from within.
    But joy comes from helping others.

Measure twice... and then sneak up on it!

Yes I replaced the gear box

Leo
    Life is to short carve something today
    Leo Davenport

I believe the motor stops when the controller senses an increase in amperage draw, from the stalled motor. the grating noise means the belt or gears are slipping, "somehow". So there is never an amperage increase high enough to trigger the signal. Investigating the slippage should solve your problem.
    "Carved with Love"

Quote Originally Posted by badbert View Post
    I believe the motor stops when the controller senses an increase in amperage draw, from the stalled motor. the grating noise means the belt or gears are slipping, "somehow". So there is never an amperage increase high enough to trigger the signal. Investigating the slippage should solve your problem.
    I replaced the belt and I checked it. Seem tight. What else should I check

Thanks

Leo
    Leo Davenport

Leo I am grasping at straws. To be honest, I have no idea what the problem could be... A few suggestions. Put a white mark on the belt. And white marks on the pulleys. You might have to remove the cover and bypass the switches to see. All white dots should stop moving when it hits the keypad side. If they do... then you know that the problem is not the belts and pulleys. If the white dot on the y motor pulley moves but the other two don't. Then you know the belt is slipping. I hope this helps and I will keep thinking about the problem.
    "Carved with Love"

Quote Originally Posted by badbert View Post
    Leo I am grasping at straws. To be honest, I have no idea what the problem could be... A few suggestions. Put a white mark on the belt. And white marks on the pulleys. You might have to remove the cover and bypass the switches to see. All white dots should stop moving when it hits the keypad side. If they do... then you know that the problem is not the belts and pulleys. If the white dot on the y motor pulley moves but the other two don't. Then you know the belt is slipping. I hope this helps and I will keep thinking about the problem.
    Thanks for your input. Your guess is as good as mine. I have tried everything.

Leo
    Leo Davenport

How about the bearing on the Y sometime one bearing could give you a problem they look right sometime one could jam along the way
    Henry
    Henry

Every one has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.

Check the Nylon gear on the Y belt tensioner located by the bit plate. I had one of go bad and when my machine homed, the belt slipped, caused a fault. The inner sleeve wore out. Also ensure the screw on the top of the tensioner is tight. If that is loose, it can cause the belt to slip when homing and when carving.

When you replaced the Y gear box, did you check the shaft and gear play on it as well. Even with the bearings changed, if the shaft or gear is worn the belt can still slip.
    Last edited by chief2007; 11-18-2012 at 08:13 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast