Thread: software

Default software

Hello i was just wondering how hard is it to take a pic off of the internet and make it usable to turn it into a carving and what software do i need to do this. thank you for any and all help

It is not hard at all and most times just the the pattern editor software will do the trick. You can Photoshop in conjunction with the pattern editor software as well and get great results.

Default Making and Editing Patterns

Quote Originally Posted by alias View Post
    Hello i was just wondering how hard is it to take a pic off of the internet and make it usable to turn it into a carving and what software do i need to do this. thank you for any and all help
    I suggest that you get the Scanning Probe package as your best use of your $$.

My "signature" section, below, has a "Download" link which will give you to my lessons as well as LHR and other links. You may also go directly to CarveWright for Tips & Tricks, Tutorials, and other LHR links.
    AskBud
    AskBud Downloads =>> CLICK HERE
    Lesson added
    7/15/2012 Titles begin with "2D-3D Build a Pattern-Part-3"

CW Vacuum Head Project =>> CLICK HERE
    AskBud Home Page =>> CLICK HERE <<=PC lessons or CW lessons

More than 1250 AskBud patterns
    vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv
    http://store.carvewright.com/manufac...ufacturerid=29

Quote Originally Posted by chief2007 View Post
    It is not hard at all and most times just the the pattern editor software will do the trick. You can Photoshop in conjunction with the pattern editor software as well and get great results.
    Hmmm...well, it all depends on the photo type, the resolution quality, shadows in the photo, and a zillion other variables. Not trying to be "Mr. Negative" but turning a photo you snag from the internet into a truly good quality pattern can be challenging at times (to put it mildly).

The latest CW software modules (2d and 3d suites) can really help achieve a high-quality pattern based upon a photo. Admittedly, it does require a bit of time and effort to learn the tools, but well worth it, I believe.

Alias, view the following video to see how these tools are used to yield a very nice pattern from a photo:
    http://www.carvewright.com/support-p...odeling-suite/
    Last edited by mtylerfl; 11-17-2012 at 07:43 AM.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

I agree with Michael. While it is true that you can take most any photo or graphic and quickly turn it into a carving using just the standard CarveWright Designer software, the quality of the carving may be poor or even completely unsuitable. Here is an example. I imported a picture of a fireplug (right) and turned it into a carving. I also made a height map model based upon the same picture of the fireplug (left) using a drawing program and gradient designer and imported that to make a carving. Which carving looks better and more like a fireplug?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fireplug.png 
Views:	52 
Size:	18.0 KB 
ID:	57064Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fireplug picture.png 
Views:	54 
Size:	35.4 KB 
ID:	57063Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	80 
Size:	408.4 KB 
ID:	57062

Take a look at the difference between the picture and the height map. You can carve a picture, but you need a height map to make a quality carving in my opinion. There is no quick and easy way to do what you suggest. There are a variety of methods and software tools to do so, but they all take time, effort, and dare I say some level of artistry to master. (I'm still a novice.) Search the forums and you will find some information on the various techniques.