Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: nother web site question.

Default nother web site question.

How do you handle custom orders on a web site? If I create a customized thing worth $100 give or take $25 and the order-er doesn't put the money in PayPal, I am stuck with it. I would like to get a deposit, to at least cover my materials. I see how stock items, like burial urns would work - have it on hand, they order it and pay, I ship it. But say someone wants a wedding/anniversary box with names and dates. How do you with websites do this?
    Thanks again
    Clint
    CarveWright StartU team member
    Web Site WWW.clintscustomcarving.com

I create the custom order for the customer and post a link for payment and send it to them, letting then know once payment is received, I will create their order. I send the design ahead of time for approval. Have never had a complaint.

3. Default

I set up my items on the webpage to cover the cost of customization. For example the word "Cribbage" on most cribbage boards can be changed to someones name without any real increase in cost. I then give them the option to change it. Item is paid in full and no extra cost or worry about how to charge. I also give the option of customizing up to two more lines on some items. The items I show on the site and give the price for already have those two lines included so no price change is neccesary. Just how I do it. You can complicate things and worry more than the cost difference if you get too carried away. You can check my Unique gifts of wood site to see what I mean. Sometimes the customer doesn't even take advantage of the extra line or two so I carve them the way they show on the site. Hope this helps.

Bonney Lake, Washington, United States, 113160055365328, Bonney Lake, Washington

All my work is custom, my customers email me what they want from a link at my web site. I then send them a jpg of what their item will look like and give them options with pricing. If the item is under $100 I take payment in full. Over that I require a 60% deposit but most people just pay the full amount. I have never been stuck with a sign order. Hope this helps a little.
    Tom Watson
    Two CW's and D.C.-Top Mount Insert @ Ringneckblues.com Get the dust out!!
    50" X 48" PDJ Pilot Pro CNC http://www.pdjinc.com

Check out my Facebook page for current carvings at http://www.facebook.com/signsinwood

Watsons Wooden Words http://www.signsinwood.com & Messages in Wood http://www.messagesinwood.com/

On my site I have a custom items with payment through paypal I have a fixed price there and mention it may cost more or less. I also give them a way to send me a image of what they want. Most contact me direct, with the image and we take it from there. Basically I get the image, tell them a price and if the price is suitable to both of us I make the pattern. If not I move on and forget the pattern. As I am making the pattern (almost done, I will send them an image of the pattern for their approval and give then the option to continue or stop. If they want exclusive rights to the pattern the cost will be more. Otherwise once the pattern has been sold I place it on my site for what I charged them for it. I know it will not sell to general public but not fair to charge less.
    Clink in your cse you are selling a goods, which you have to make. I would insist on 50% down, with the rest due+ shipping cost before shipping.
    Last edited by eelamb; 11-12-2012 at 07:50 PM.
    Using Designer 1.187, STL importer, Center line, conforming vectors, scanning probe/PE, and the ROCK chuck.

Eddie

I fly by the seat of my pants when I make Wooden Signs.... I don't get any money up front.... I send the customer a picture of the completed and installed sign with a PDF file of a Quick Books Invoice..... So far in over 5 years I have never been stuck.... Same with Fire Tags.... Send a Invoice with Shipment and also a PDF copy via email.... Never been stuck... Lucky.... I read on the other 2 Engraving Forums about NON Payment all the time.... Especially for "AWARDS".....

I did have a lady cancel a order due to a death in the family... A pick up of a "Bear Crossing" Sign for her now Late Hubby's Den...

I understod.... But sold it later that same Show for more than I was asking....

I miss spelled a customers name once..... Use it for a Sample.... Did a new sign...

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

I think I remember the misspelled name incident. All good answers. I told my wife last night what I was working on and that you all were helping. She was agreeable to it.
    thank you again
    Clint
    CarveWright StartU team member
    Web Site WWW.clintscustomcarving.com

8. Default

Clint, how is the website coming??

I have a question, when showing a customer a pic of the project how do most of you do it? As an example I make cemetery crosses and the best I can do is show both the upright and cross member of the cross in two separate pics. The customer has to imagine the two together, because trying to get them the right sizes in a drawing program is a pain, and I don't want to cut and assemble till I get a confirmation for the sale. Didn't we have the option at one time to bring two or more pieces together in in"ProjectDesigner"?
    Gary

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture 2.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	18.1 KB 
ID:	57842Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	9.6 KB 
ID:	57843
    3D Pro Ver. 3.103 Build 14, STL & DXF Importer, Rotary, Conforming Vectors, Centerline- Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo CPU T6500 @ 2.10GHz 4GB Ram 64 bit Operating System using Windows 7

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Koval View Post
    I have a question, when showing a customer a pic of the project how do most of you do it? As an example I make cemetery crosses and the best I can do is show both the upright and cross member of the cross in two separate pics. The customer has to imagine the two together, because trying to get them the right sizes in a drawing program is a pain, and I don't want to cut and assemble till I get a confirmation for the sale. Didn't we have the option at one time to bring two or more pieces together in in"ProjectDesigner"?
    Gary

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture 2.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	18.1 KB 
ID:	57842Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	9.6 KB 
ID:	57843
    I have a small PDF to show how I put two PTN files together and then show them as one pattern. Hope this helps. BJB
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MAKING A PATTERN AND ADDING A DOME EFFECT.pdf  
    Using Designer Version 1.187
    Donations are always welcomed, thanks – send a check to my PO Box 652

BJB
    PO Box 652
    Yellville,AR 72687-0652

PM me for my e-mail address.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast