Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I guess summer is gone.

1. Default I guess summer is gone.

The view from my shop at 6:30a.m. this morning. The parking lot is looking more like a skating rink.

Also one of our koi ponds. This 50x12 by 6 foot deep pond usually has 17, 20 to 28 inch koi thrashing about the surface trying to be first to get fed. I guess it's too cold this morning.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails snow1.jpg   snow2.jpg  
    Last edited by TerryT; 11-12-2012 at 11:04 AM.

I think you are correct - summer is gone. There is 8" of the white stuff outside to prove it. I am done carving until spring comes because I cannot afford to heat my shop.

3. Default

I hope you made hay while the sun shined! LOL. Fall and Winter is my favorite time to be in my shop and also when I have the most time for it. During the holiday season we have people coming in to pick up orders or look at our stuff and place orders for Christmas, etc. We do craft shows for a few weeks to generate interest and folks start showing up about now.

Ahh...one of my favorite times of the year. I just checked with some folks back home and we have a dusting in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. I am heading up there tomorrow to take part in our whitetail deer season which opens on the 15th. I am sure I will see plenty before the season is over.... My Dad always said "You can dress for cold, but you can't dress for hot."
    John
    www.jdmwoodworks.com
    Facebook Page: click FB button on web page

Bessemer, MI (shop location)
    Lake Gogebic, MI (where I hang my hat)

"He who wants by the yard, but gives by the inch, should be kicked by the foot"...

Quote Originally Posted by Deolman View Post
    I think you are correct - summer is gone. There is 8" of the white stuff outside to prove it. I am done carving until spring comes because I cannot afford to heat my shop.
    I can relate to the heat costs! I have a room under my porch It used to be the coal room. It is like a bomb shelter. 8' wide and 20' long. LOML just finished setting up my winter workshop in there. Bonus is, the "Bucky" can barely be heard in there!
    "Carved with Love"

Happiness comes from within.
    But joy comes from helping others.

Measure twice... and then sneak up on it!

It was -1° F here this AM and the shop was a balmy 45°. I decided not to fight it and came back to the house
    The 50-50-90 rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Do it on a Mac.
    Vietnam Vet '65-'66

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by pkunk View Post
    It was -1° F here this AM and the shop was a balmy 45°. I decided not to fight it and came back to the house
    Oh man, that is cold! I'm hoping to not see that kind of temp all winter.

Quote Originally Posted by TerryT View Post
    Oh man, that is cold! I'm hoping to not see that kind of temp all winter.
    I blame Al Gore for his global warming crap.
    The 50-50-90 rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Do it on a Mac.
    Vietnam Vet '65-'66

Well here in So Cal it has been getting down to the low 40s at night. I seldom gets below 50 in my shop. Finishing is my only real propblem - that and finding wood (Not as abundant or cheap as back east).
    Clint
    CarveWright StartU team member
    Web Site WWW.clintscustomcarving.com

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Bigtyme View Post
    Ahh...one of my favorite times of the year. I just checked with some folks back home and we have a dusting in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. I am heading up there tomorrow to take part in our whitetail deer season which opens on the 15th. I am sure I will see plenty before the season is over.... My Dad always said "You can dress for cold, but you can't dress for hot."
    John,
    Your dad was right! Oppressive heat is hard to deal with for me. I'll take cooler weather, Bailey's in my coffee and a warm fire.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast