Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Computer generated Celtic Knots Free

I can't wait to see it done. It would be beautiful. One of a kind.

Capt Barry

Has anyone done any more work with this program? I am playing with it, but can't get the results as smooth as I would like. I also see that the author says he created the .xyz format for use with the carvewright. what does that relate to? I tried doing some STL imports but always got an corrupt file error when I do. Anyone else have sucess?

thanks,
    dave

I've done a fair bit with it. Post an example and explain more what you mean by "smooth". I did use Pattern Editor to clean up my results.

This looks pretty cool ,,, but this kind-a software is what I'm NOT GOOD AT ... Ha ... But I'll give it a go ....
    Mans Quest for knowledge,,, means he'll always find a way !!

Quote Originally Posted by DickB View Post
    I've done a fair bit with it. Post an example and explain more what you mean by "smooth". I did use Pattern Editor to clean up my results.
    I did a basic 10x3 knot and increased the sides points and smooth as high as it would let me. It looked good in the picture, but when imported not as much.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	celtknot.PNG 
Views:	52 
Size:	608.6 KB 
ID:	72872Click image for larger version. 

Name:	testknot3.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	65.6 KB 
ID:	72873

One suggestion is to change the background color to say red. Import the height map into a paint program or pattern editor, use the magic want to select it, then delete it. This will eliminate the "spikes" inside the knot. I did use the "smooth" and/or "blur" functions, along with "trim" and "round", of Pattern Editor to get the result that I wanted.

I downloaded it an un zipped it but when I tried to run it, it said one of the file was not registered. In the read me text it said you need the VB6 stuff and if you don't have it to go to the website and download knots3dsetup.exe does anyone have a link to the website or have a copy of this file?

Quote Originally Posted by farmer View Post
    I downloaded it an un zipped it but when I tried to run it, it said one of the file was not registered. In the read me text it said you need the VB6 stuff and if you don't have it to go to the website and download knots3dsetup.exe does anyone have a link to the website or have a copy of this file?
    just right click and say "run as administrator" and it should run fine.

dave

I will try that! Thanks

To get the best out of this program you will have understand very basic 3d modeling. The program outputs a very nice low poly mesh. All you have to do is add some very basic and simple edge loops in Blender to "tighten up" the model before you subdivide it to hold the shape. You can also add an edge loop down the center of the output and play with the scale tool in Blender wwith the edge selected to change the shape. Then just use Blender to render a heightmap and import to CW or export as an .stl if you have the .stl importer.

The heightmap in the program itself is not very good because the model is low poly and needs to be subdivided to make a good cnc carving pattern.

There is ton of info online for blender to learn to add edge loops and render a heightmap
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cel1.jpg   cel2.jpg   cel3.jpg   cel4.jpg  

ZGrab01.BMP  
    John

High Quality 3d Clip Art
    www.CarveMore.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12