Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Add- on Sign.

Post Add- on Sign.

I started this sign awhile ago and though I might pass the idea along' The sign can grow out in length and width .You donit have to make a new sign everytime you want to change it. This is all western red cedar which will give you the duribility for indoor and mostly outside. The outter frame is made of 4 x 4in. with a dado along the length, size as needed , I made mine 1in. deep and 1in. wide to compensate for swelling. My boards are 3/4in by 10in, you can make the length you want. I did 98% of the work on my CarveWright. Do what ever you want to carve on the indivual board. I made in this case all 1 x 10in the same, The 4 x4in outer frames all have the proper size Dado, once the size is decided I cut my 4 x 4 's and point the ends at 45 degrees for the ends, all sides. I now know my signs size, length and width of the 1 x 10ins. On my radial arm saw I cut the inter lock joints on the 4 x 4 's assemble all and from the back side used some deck screws to secure the joints. If I wish to put on the outside, I used a galvy. lag bolt in each interlocking joint. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IM001062.JPG 
Views:	77 
Size:	170.7 KB 
ID:	56603Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IM001070.JPG 
Views:	88 
Size:	167.7 KB 
ID:	56604Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IM001102.JPG 
Views:	83 
Size:	204.1 KB 
ID:	56605

You can take down an add or change anytime you wish. I then take some boiled linseed oil and turpitine 50 % mix. Make extra and save for the future, Label well.

If I repeated myself,or rambled to much Sorry !

Capt Barry
    Last edited by b.sumner47; 10-24-2012 at 04:10 PM.

Hey Barry - where do you find 4x4's straight enough to run through the CW? I can never get them to run thru without an error, due to the inevitable twist in the wood.
    Livin' Life
    Lovin' My Carvewright

Good idea. Just one more post!!!!

Nice job Barry.
    Leo Davenport
    Enjoy Life Carve Something everyday

Barry yes just one more post. But that aside, the sign is great, I like your thought behind making it flexible .
    Using Designer 1.187, STL importer, Center line, conforming vectors, scanning probe/PE, and the ROCK chuck.

Eddie

6. Default

Beautiful, barry, good work.

I had to order the 4x4 cedar, from a boat lumber supplier. I made the sign for my church.

Thanks All.

Capt Barry
    Last edited by b.sumner47; 10-24-2012 at 04:53 PM.

Great job Barry.

Nice sign and thanks for sharing. Congratulation on being a senior. If they ask get the version C. <snicker>

Bonney Lake, Washington, United States, 113160055365328, Bonney Lake, Washington

That is awesome Capt Barry! I love the design on the 4 X 4's and the ease of changing out pieces as needed.
    Thanks for the photo's my friend!
    Tom Watson
    Two CW's and D.C.-Top Mount Insert @ Ringneckblues.com Get the dust out!!
    50" X 48" PDJ Pilot Pro CNC http://www.pdjinc.com

Check out my Facebook page for current carvings at http://www.facebook.com/signsinwood

Watsons Wooden Words http://www.signsinwood.com & Messages in Wood http://www.messagesinwood.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast