Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cutout out of line

Default cutout out of line

i purchased the wilderness clock, invested in a good piece of wood and started to cut it out. Spent 4 hours cutting and when it finished the cut out of the clock was 2 inches off from the bottom. Needless to say I was upset.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1194.JPG 
Views:	71 
Size:	2.06 MB 
ID:	56574 Can someone help with my problem?

thanks
    Rick Merriss

From the picture it looks like you had an X axis slip. The surface in the picture looks very rough. If it is the same on the other side then the brass roller probably lost contact with the board. All project boards MUST be flat, smooth, and have parallel sides and ends.
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 10-22-2012 at 05:24 PM.
    Steve

That dark streak in the wood goes to the edge of the board where the tracking roller would be right about to where it appears to have gotten "off the mark".

Sorry, I can't think what else to call it but "dark streak". I know there's a term for it, but it is the end of a long hard Monday! By brain hurts.

If that area is too slick or too rough, it could be the root of your problem. I'm guessing too slick.
    Last edited by lynnfrwd; 10-22-2012 at 05:30 PM.
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

I have to agree with Steve, looks like the board slipped in the X movement. Things to do to avoid this is to place a strip of masking tape on the board edge that rides on the brass roller.

Other possible is, Check your project to insure the cut out path did not get moved for some reason.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Quote Originally Posted by lynnfrwd View Post
    That dark streak in the wood goes to the edge of the board where the tracking roller would be right about to where it appears to have gotten "off the mark".

Sorry, I can't think what else to call it but "dark streak". I know there's a term for it, but it is the end of a long hard Monday! By brain hurts.

If that area is too slick or too rough, it could be the root of your problem. I'm guessing too slick.
    GRAIN???
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

It's coming......ok Al who......chime in....

masking tape?
    CarverJerry

ver. 1.188 Win 7- 64b with 6 GB ram @ 2.8Ghz and dual 1Tb hard drives. Rock Chuck & Ringneck vacuum system hooked up to a Harbor Freight large vacuum. Center line text, conforming vectors.

Quote Originally Posted by lynnfrwd View Post

That dark streak is Ambrosia. That wood is most likely "wormy" (ambrosia) Maple.

We have to remember, there are two modes of carving. Vector and raster. Vector is normal routing, Like cutting, Centerline text, edge route...etc. And then there is Raster carving, Like detailed patterns. The machine does raster carves first. During raster carves, the board moves very slowly. In vector carve the board moves quickly. The problem you are having here is "traction". In the rain or snow, when traction is low, if you accelerate slowly, your car moves, but if you accelerate quickly, you just spin your wheels. The X-drive lost traction when it tried to move quickly. Your board must be flat on the bottom so that it remains in contact with the belts. We have all learned this from experience. You need to put masking tape, on the edge for the brass roller (keypad side). Adding a few more rows of masking tape also improves traction. You might also want to check your belts and also head pressure.

Default have agree

That is to bad have to agree with the others
    Henry

Every one has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.

9. Default

The others are probably right.... but something just doesn't seem right in the picture. Again the others are probably correct but check your mpc just to make sure something didn't accidently get moved.

Sure... I am stuck doing the Diner Dishes and you guys are having ALL the FUN.... I feel like the Matag Repair Man.... LOL.... Head Cook and Bottle Washer.... My day job....

Everyone is right on track.... It's all about the Brass Roller.... The Board lost contact with the Brass Roller causing the board to go off in the X Direction....

So I am wondering, I see 2 Chevrons, was this a 2 pass cut path or more.. Being Maple is SO HARD and SMOOTH too big of a bite with the 1/8th inch. While cutting in the X Direction the ability of the bit to actually cut FAST enough might have contributed to the X Stalling or moving the board without the Brass Roller Knowing it.... Remember, the Brass Roller is monitored by the computer and a somewhat open ended Servo Drive Order is given... for Example move from 0123 to 0133. Only 10 pulses.. BUT if the Brass Roller looses contact the Servo will still move the board "Waiting" for the Encoder to change from 0123 to 0133.... It can actually Spit the board out of the machine in the worst case..... Usually seen with a TOO THIN board where the Rubber Rollers cannot push the board down hard enough on to the brass roller..

OK... I about over killed this..... Try Masking Tape... And Confirm Board Thickness end to end.

Look at Head Level.

Look at your Sand Paper Belts and this can be caused when a Belt is rolled under at the brass roller raising the board off the roller. usually the one under the Cut Motor.

Good Luck,

AL
    Last edited by Digitalwoodshop; 10-22-2012 at 06:55 PM.
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast