Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Travelling the US in a motorhome-- with a carvewright?

Default Travelling the US in a motorhome-- with a carvewright?

Exciting news (for me anyway)

LOML and I are counting down the months (about a year to go) until my retirement from the Air Force. We are SERIOUSLY knocking around the idea of buying a motorhome and taking the kids around the US for the better part of a year (before we move the the UK permanently) We're (slowly) shopping for RVs and making tentative plans. (staying in a lot of military campgrounds for one) Right now we plan to kick things off in December of 2013 with San Diego and head east across the south (slowly) ending up in Key West. We then will head north with the weather-- meeting up with friends and having fun along the way (with lots of historical stops and perhaps even a couple of stops at woodworking schools for me for several weeks at a time) and will finish up in Maine. After this we are headed south and west (summertime) to S. Dakota and Wyoming-- ending up in Seattle. Finally we plan to take our time heading south through California, spending lots of time in Yosemite and finishing up in San Diego and completing our 10,000+ mile journey. We plan to home-school our boys (they will be 10 and 11), getting them up to speed for the English school system with their curriculum. (England is about 6 mos ahead of the Arizona system in most things and we need to get them up to speed on geography, history, and social studies appropriate for the UK)

I REALLY want to somehow take along the Carvewright-- There are lots of woodworking shops on many of the bases we'll be visiting so I'll be able to prep wood (plus hand tools and I plan to take my festool saw and dc for breaking down goods) I'm racking my brain to come up with how I will go about running my CW (without being too loud re: neighbors!). Today I swung by our local RV stop on base and was informed that I would DEFINITELY be able to sell customized signs similar to the one I made recently for a trailer. It would be nice to augment my military retirement with a couple of bucks- not necessary, but nice. Any suggestions on sound deadening or running thee machine off a standard motorhome genny would be appreciated (should I get a UPS for it for example)

We are in the VERY early stages right now and would love to hear any suggestions/share our experience with y'all.

I look forward to your responses-and sharing this experience with you.
    V/r
    Lawrence

I expect to see you about half way between San Diego and key west!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

Would be a great adventure, I would say to get a RV with Toy hauler compartment. This would still allow for you to tow a vehicle and give you an area too have the carvewright and tools.

There are several 5th wheels that are to haulers if that route is an option for you.

we're ruling out the 5th wheel for a few reasons... which really narrows down our toyhauler scenarios. We're looking at class-a bunkhouses while towing a jeep. Great idea/point though- please keep them coming! (and yes Connie- we'll definitely swing by y'alls way (and maybe get a chance to buy a couple more folks here a cup of coffee along the way)

Thanks again, keep the suggestions coming please-
    Lawrence

I worked as the lead technician on the Ford f-53 Motorhome chassis program for ten years. We performed durability tests every year. And always with a different model. The bodybuilders took great pride in assembling their best models so they could receive free testing. I spent a lot of time repairing strengthening and reassembling their bodies. Which had a 100 times higher failure rate than our chassis. All of them except one... NewMar. Hands down the best built body on the road, in class A bodies. We failed a fuel tank (huge deal) one year. Which meant we had to re-run durability. Rather than send the backup chassis to the bodybuilder (6 week turnaround) I opted to rebuild the newmar existing body. It took me two weeks, but I lifted the Motorhome on the hoist, supported the body, cut it loose, and lowered the chassis from underneath it. Rolled in the backup chassis, raised it up to mate with the body, and reassembled it. The body had already been through 43000 miles of the 60000 mile test. It finished the second round without a problem. 103,000 miles of torture you would never consider putting your personal vehicle through. And that body lived through it unharmed. There were several manufacturers that literally fell apart during testing. Their wiring systems are second to none. They actually make wiring harnesses from print and assemble them on a bench. Most body-builders, just string wire from point a to point b. Sometimes using the same colored wire! Seriously Lawrence, you can waste a year just working the bugs out of an RV! I am in no way affiliated with them, just a fan of their work. Go to their site and take the tour of their factory.

Bonney Lake, Washington, United States, 113160055365328, Bonney Lake, Washington

Sounds Like a fun adventure and what a wonderful way to share our beautiful country with your kids. You might be able to attend our users group meeting in Seattle area.
    Tom Watson
    Two CW's and D.C.-Top Mount Insert @ Ringneckblues.com Get the dust out!!
    50" X 48" PDJ Pilot Pro CNC http://www.pdjinc.com

Check out my Facebook page for current carvings at http://www.facebook.com/signsinwood

Watsons Wooden Words http://www.signsinwood.com & Messages in Wood http://www.messagesinwood.com/

When I was stationed at quantico we used to try and go at a minimum once a year to the naval rec center at solomons island patuxent river Maryland. Very cheap. Very safe, they have sentries guarding the entrance. Just need your military id. They usually have something planned daily for the kids and there is a lot to do. It's hard to find on the internet but its one of the navys best kept secrets. You should look it up. And if you are around the quantico area check out the prince William forest. No power hookups but they have bathrooms with showers. They have quite a few trails and its cheap as well.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2
    Custom Stadium Coin Racks for displaying Military Challenge Coins, GeoCoins and the like- http://www.etsy.com/shop/stadiumdisplays
    OR http://shop.ebay.com/stadiumdisplays...&_trksid=p4340

Why not use the base shop for the CW? Most RV parks have electric but if you get out in the national forests away from people you'll use your generator and as long as it's just you and nature the CW will just be another noise. We go all over in our motorhome but I've not taken the CW. For some RV forums to enlighten, entertain, and inform go to these for a start. http://www.irv2.com/forums/ http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm I have lots of links to other informative sites for repair and things like free & low cost campsites.
    2 things-get a good insurance policy with roadside assistance and don't buy new. Let someone else absorb the huge depreciation hit and work out the bugs. A MH is a house the rattles itself to pieces on our nations horrible highways!
    The 50-50-90 rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Do it on a Mac.
    Vietnam Vet '65-'66

Perhaps a frame made out of 1" lumber covered with ply on the outside with advertisement. Hard mount the CW to the bottom of the box. Surround all inter side area with 1 " foam rubber for sound deadening. Bottom and top of the box could have latches and handles allowing for safe transporting. Bottom air vents and a opening for the muffler. Military specs....

PS: Have you ever thought about seeking help for this obsession...JK

I made a box from just 1" Foam and self stick velcro for reducing the sound from the carvewright. Just make sure you still have some air movement. A dust collector should be enough.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast